Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting How long to wait before I get my piggy a friend?

ashleyford

Cavy Slave
Obviously, moving to a new home is stressful. I know my little guy is still figuring this place out, and I'm going to try to build him a C&C cage tonight, so he will probably need time to adjust to that, too.

How long should I wait to adopt a spayed female companion for him? Once he seems acclimated? Or... ? I work a lot, and go to school during the fall, and I don't want him to be lonely. I've also heard they are so much happier with 2+ piggies.

Any insight?

I'm new, so hopefully this is in the right place.

It is strongly suggested that you quarantine any new guinea pigs just to make sure they are not sick. So you need to keep them seperate for 2-3 weeks. You could really get another anytime. And it would help him relax more because he is not the only pig :)

It is strongly suggested that you quarantine any new guinea pigs just to make sure they are not sick. So you need to keep them seperate for 2-3 weeks. You could really get another anytime. And it would help him relax more because he is not the only pig :)
I agree with jm_1234.

Thanks so much! How far separate should they be? I'm guessing separating them with just a few grid pieces for C&C cage wouldn't be enough for sickness? I'm jw where I could put his friend during the quarantine. :)

I'm wondering if it would be better to adopt from a foster home or a shelter? I know foster homes need to be adopted just as much, but a LOT of shelters in my area are full of animals and regularly reject animals or simply put them to sleep if they're not adopted. :( So I kind of want to try to see if I can find an at risk piggy female friend for Peter Parker (aka Spiderman aka my Cavy) and save one from an untimely fate

Are you expecting to find an already spayed female? I don't believe female guinea pigs are spayed all that often so I would expect it to not be very easy to find one already spayed.

I agree with everyone above me, you should quarantine for at least two weeks, and by then he should be used to his new home. And it's reccomended you quarantine in another room.
I say if you have a choice from a kill shelter and foster homes, I'd go with kill shelter. That way you'd be saving a life.

@Raine59 Where do you live? In my area the SPCA spays/neuters EVERY SINGLE ANIMAL that comes into their care, including guinea pigs. Also, the one rescue I've found that's semi-local spays all of the females. Not saying it's right or wrong... it's just what they do.

Thats a great idea. Adopting is always better! They need to be really far apart, if possible in another room. Because you little guy is from a petstore he unfortunently might possibly be sick just because they are not in very good conditions behind the scenes. One of my petstore piggies came with a uri and ringworm :(.

I agree with everyone above me, you should quarantine for at least two weeks, and by then he should be used to his new home. And it's reccomended you quarantine in another room.
I say if you have a choice from a kill shelter and foster homes, I'd go with kill shelter. That way you'd be saving a life.

Thanks for the hint! I'll quarantine in another room then. I think I'm going to call around the local kill shelters... I can think of 4 off the top of my head if that tells you anything about my area... I'm sure out of all of them, there will probably be at least one girl piggy who needs a home. I just worry about them sexing them correctly, but then again, since they spay/neuter them all, I'm guessing they have to be correctly sexed lol...

Thats a great idea. Adopting is always better! They need to be really far apart, if possible in another room. Because you little guy is from a petstore he unfortunently might possibly be sick just because they are not in very good conditions behind the scenes. One of my petstore piggies came with a uri and ringworm :(.

I have heard! I used to say I preferred adoption but pet stores were okay because I worked with a local pet store where the owners treated there animals wonderfully, but the more I read about pet stores, the less and less I ever think I'll buy from one again! It sounds like the little critters are the ones who get the worst treatment too, because we can't always tell. :( I'm hoping my little petstore piggy is okay, but only time will tell. He seems to be okay except he hides in his edible hut a lot... but I guess that's just because it's new. He does pull out his little chew toys and stuff. I found a cardboard box from where I had bought an electric pencil sharpener and cut out a hole and made him a second hiding spot that only has one door and he's been hiding in there all day! Haha! I had to check on him a few times and make sure he was okay but he's just in there chewing on stuff so I guess he's doing fine!

:D @ashleyford How can they mis-gender if they fix? That's impossible! LOL.

Thank you for being ready and willing to adopt a rescue piggy from a kill shelter. You're awesome!

I don't know about the rest of the Cavy Cagers, but I want to get my guinea pigs in to see the vet right away after I get them. (I'm researching right now, and probably won't be able to get my first piggies until this fall!) Of course, it will still be important to quarantine wherever necessary, but I like that extra health assurance these animals are all right.

I'm almost completely green where piggies are concerned. My only experience being several months where I worked with a rescue and her rabbits and piggies. We were so busy making sure they had adequate food/water and making sure their cages were clean, that I never got the opportunity to hold either piggy or rabbit. I suspect it will take time to be sure of my home medical skills (aka, just making sure the piggies are healthy).

@CritterLuvva Yeah, I realized that as I said it. LOL. I've been trying to check out the kill shelters around here and almost none of the ones that I can find that I know are kill shelters have anything but cats and dogs... period... kind of scary because it makes me think they're just putting all other animals down automatically!

(broken link removed) is an example of some piggies for adoption I've found in this area! I'm wondering if maybe I should compile all the links and put them together and put them in a thread for anyone on the forum who might be interested in adopting in VA. It actually hasn't been as easy as one single google search, believe it or not!

...kind of scary because it makes me think they're just putting all other animals down automatically!

Who says those are the rescues rescuing guinea pigs at all? I mean, you could ask them, but the way rescues work, one rescue will specialize in one type of animal, and another will specialize in something else. That's what it's like around here. Cats and dogs go to one shelter, small furries to another.

It actually hasn't been as easy as one single google search, believe it or not!

Actually, I do. There are places that are bursting at the seams with guinea pigs, and others that only have a few scattered here and there. Michigan belongs to the later group, so I know exactly what you mean! But you don't have to limit your search to your own state if you're having troubles finding piggies. All you have to do is shout "piggy train" on a thread and the forum starts hopping (no, strike that; binkying! :D) to the opportunity. There are great piggy rescue advocates on this site!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.