Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

how long did it take for your piggie to get used to the new environment??

guinea_piglet

Cavy Slave
I just got my first piggie last thursday and she seems to be scared. So i'm just wondering, how long did it take for your piggie to get used to you and it's new home? Does your piggie still run away from you when you want to pick it up or just pet it? Thank You!

With my first pig, I had a pet store cage and she got used to me in about a week. (let me pet her without running away) now that I have the C&C cage, I would say it took about a month before she completely trusted me.

oh, i see! Thanks for the help!

Its took my boys about 2 months. They started wheeking for food after one week but they were still terrified when anybody made a noise.

Hi everybody,

We just bought our first two pigs last night. I built a C&C 4x2 cube cage for them right from the start. It didn't seem right to keep them in a small cage.

They hide almost all the time in their igloo house. They just started wondering out for food and water but then they go right back into the house. How long does this behavior last and when can I expect them to enjoy their big roaming environment? Could some of you please tell me your experiences?

We have our 2 piggies for 2 weeks today. Their cage came with them and was a 2x2 with a 1 x 2 loft. We expanded to a 2x4 with two 1x2 lofts on either end connected by a bridge. They took an evening to explore and find their way around and now love to run up their ramp and all around their cage. However, they still run and hide most of the time when we try to pick them up or even pet them. I sure hope that this improves. It is fun though to watch them when they go tearing around their cage. They seem to love all the room and the ramp.

qhplar said:
Hi everybody,

We just bought our first two pigs last night. I built a C&C 4x2 cube cage for them right from the start. It didn't seem right to keep them in a small cage.

They hide almost all the time in their igloo house. They just started wondering out for food and water but then they go right back into the house. How long does this behavior last and when can I expect them to enjoy their big roaming environment? Could some of you please tell me your experiences?
I take out my pigloo during the day. Since I have done this, My piggies have socially improved tremendously.

Don't take it out too long. It may work but it may also make them more skiterish, imagine if you were in a land of giants and had no where to hide.

No, they still have places to hide (tubes, hide-a-ways) but they love the pigloos so much, they would stay in them 99% of the time.

slap_maxwell said:
No, they still have places to hide (tubes, hide-a-ways) but they love the pigloos so much, they would stay in them 99% of the time.
Yes that is the same problem I'm having. I do remove the igloo's for 15-20 minutes at atime just so we can enjoy them, and then I put the igloos back. having them in there 99% of the time is not what I expected. Maybe I will have my kids make a little hide-a-way for them that they may enjoy a little less. Thanks for the tip slap.

I have to girls. One adjusted within one week. Was very calm to begin with. The other was terrified. Took her about 2 - 1/2 months to finally calm down. It happened quite abruptly. One day she wheeks and runs, the next she enjoyed lap time and would come running if she thought I had something for her. Just be very patient and persistant in giving them your attention.

Also, piggies will always make a dash if they think you are swooping down to grab them.

oh. I see. Thanks for the info everyone.

You can place all kinds of hidey houses into the cage, and lots of hay so they can sneak or dash from one hiding place to the next and will feel more secure when they start exploring the cage. And place the food bowl away from the houses so they have to come out to get their food. And move very slowly or not at all when they go on their first expeditions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.