Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How High/Tall is "TOO" High/Tall for a C&C Cage ??

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
Newbie Here . . . Just recently (within the last week) crawled out from under the rock I must have been living under and discovered the awesomeness of DIY C&C cages.

We have two guinea pigs (just recently adopted the second as a social companion for our first - both males). Anyway, I'm feeling the creative juices flowing in planning out the C&C cage I want to build - but given that I've read that guinea pigs are prone to spine injuries (especially if they're a bit chunky), I'm hoping to get some of your much-more-expert/experienced-than-I thoughts and opinions on how high (in terms of levels) is "too high" for guinea pigs.

I mean, I would LOVE to create a dream-home castle for them ... but not at the risk of damaging their health, ya know?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts, comments and advice.

TOM

Piggies love running laps, so it is more important to have horizontal space then verital space. Try to make the bottom level as large as you can. I would suggest at least 2x4 (grids), but bigger if you can.

As far as how tall you want to go, that's up to you. As long as the ramps aren't too steep, a pig will climb it as long as it feels safe. For the sake of making cleaning easier on you, I wouldn't suggest anymore then 3 levels (2 would work just fine)

Good luck with the build.

And just a hint of good advice, don't make anything too permanent. The fun thing about C&C cages is that you can change things so easily. (I think I changed my layout 3 times in the first month I had my piggies) :)

And just a hint of good advice, don't make anything too permanent. The fun thing about C&C cages is that you can change things so easily. (I think I changed my layout 3 times in the first month I had my piggies) :)
Oh, no worries there . . . You're talking to an extremely right-brained Libra here.

I mean, based on the sheer affordability of the materials - together with the virtually boundless options one can design - I'm already thinking of ways I can expand the base cage (when I'm done) with various cool extras and add-ons.

First thing's first, though - gotta reach that "first build" milestone.

:cool:

Good luck on the designing!...this site has a wonderful supply of different kinds of pictures of cages.

Here's a video of my 3 level cage. This was the umpteenth update to my piggies cage, and certainly wasn't the last, but hopefully it'll give you some ideas!
Very Cool . . . may I ask what the blue material is you have for the surface of your pig areas?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.