Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight How fast do piggies typically grow?

YoPiggies

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering this - at what rate do guinea pigs typically grow? I have two sows who are about four months old and it seems like one is growing to be larger (in length and in weight) faster than the other.

Also, I know you're supposed to weigh them weekly, but catching my girls can be a bit stressful for all of us and I feel bad putting them through the rigamarole of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Weighing them regularly and recording their weights is one of the best ways to catch any serious illnesses early. Either a too rapid weight gain, or a significant loss, can indicate problems with the pig.

Cut holes in the ends of a shoe box and shoo (pun intended) the pig in it. Put your hands over the holes and lift the box out of the cage. Easiest way in the world to catch a pig.

They're generally full grown at about 9-10 months.

Last edited:
I have boars and mine also have a huge diffrence in weight. Odair is a whole 100g heavier then Porcupine. I brought this up with the vet, who also weighed them, and said it was normal. Piggies vary and one might eat more then the other. I added an extra food bowl to help Porcupine even though he seems to eat more. If your worried one is to thin a vet visit would help. Its hard to know how thin is to thin without a refrence point. Weight them fast and give them a small treat after to calm their nerves. And some lap time to calm yours.

Oh and my boys are around 4mo to. And there is a chart on here somewhere that tracked like five piggy weights as they grew. Shows what crazy diffrent rates they grow! I wish i had saved th link.

When I first got my two boars, they were around 6 weeks and similar in weight. Less than a month later, one was 60 grams heavier. I was concerned until people on the board said that some pigs just grow at different rates. Now, at 5 months, the lighter guy is now 20 grams heavier than the other one! As the previous poster said, there's a chart at the Guinealynx site that tracks the weights of several females and several males over a year. The growth rate of my two boys has been pretty similar to the chart with respect to the age and weight of the piggies charted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.