Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications How exact do timings for antibiotics have to be?

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
Poor Blossom has a minor URI. I was able to get her to an exotics vet today who prescribed Doxycycline and Enrofloxacin twice daily, 12 hours apart, along with a probiotic. Unfortunately, the vet was over an hour away from home and we got stuck in horrible traffic which meant she got her first dose at 1.15pm.

wondering if it would be ok to give her the next dose a bit earlier, say around 11 or 11.30pm so I can get to bed! Or do I need to wait till a little after 1am and just accept a disrupted schedule for this week?

Thanks!

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Poor Blossom, I hope she feels better soon [emoji173]️

I had a pig with a corneal ulcer, and I needed to give eye drops every 8 hours (plus oral TMS every 12 hours) and the vet tech said it was okay if it wasn't perfect, because she gave the first drop at 4 pm and I did not want to be up until midnight, so I did it at 11 pm. Also the daytime ones were always a little more than 8 hours because of work... As long as it's as close to the schedule as possible that should be fine.

Unless 11 am works well for you (it certainly wouldn't for me), I'd recommend trying to find a time that works both AM and PM... When Agnes was getting TMS I did 7 am and 7 pm because that way I was always home and awake.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't have to be exactly 12 hours apart. If you're ever in a hospital and are prescribed a medicine to be given four times a day, you'll get it at roughly 6 AM, 11 AM, 5 PM, and 9 PM. Or 9 AM, 2 PM, 6 PM and 10 PM.

Once you've had the first couple of doses, the level of medicine in your system will stay relatively constant for most meds, so you can fudge an hour or two either way without harm.

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
That's great, thanks! I just get a bit paranoid at times. I gave the second dose just before 1am, so I'll give the next one around 12.30pm today, and tonight's at about midnight. That will help significantly with my sleep!