Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Herbs How Do You Store Your Cilantro?

lovemypigs.

Cavy Slave
When i but cilantro i put all of it in a sink full of water, then drain it and rinse it out again and then squeeze it out in a paper towel. Then i put it into a plastic bucket or 2 (i buy 4 bunches of it a week) and then the next day i take it out to take some and it smells ..awful. I have no idea why! so ... my question is how do you store your cilantro? Oh wait ... what other herbs herbs do you feed your piggies? i already feed mine cilantro,parsley(not very often), dill, and im trying some thyme this week :) thanks

LoveMyPigs.
And My 4 Piglets
Pepper,Sugar,Nugget and Truffles

i HATE the smell of cilantro- and not because it's gone bad! :yuck: i hear that some people love it, and for others, it tastes like dish soap. well, i'm the dish soap others! i shop for veggies 2x a week. i take all the veggies home, wash them and use a salad spinner to dry them, then wrap them in a couple of paper towels and put them back in the plastic back i put them in in the store. on a good week, the cilantro (and all my other leafy greens) usually lasts 5-6 days. the non-leafy veggies last longer (peppers, zucchini, etc)

well it has been suggested to put a coffee filter or dry paper towel
in wherever you keep it
but I have a veggie/herb holder I bought in the store

well it has been suggested to put a coffee filter or dry paper towel
in wherever you keep it
but I have a veggie/herb holder I bought in the store

Coffee filter, that's an awesome idea!!

Thanks Everyone :)

U must rinse it out well. Get a damp paper towel. Wrap the paper towel on the stems of the cilantro. U may put it in a baggy and put it in the fridge...olf fashions way: U clean the cilantro. Place it in a cup of water( stem in water) . Then leave it in a fridge..(this way worked for my aunt, never for me...i use the paper towel method. They last me minimum two weeks.

Clinatro has a STRONG herby smell. I hate it but Whistles loves it:p

I keep mine in a tuberwear/everyday when i grab some for Whistles i drain the condensation that develops in the fridge.

If you are storing it in a plastic bin, it would help to drill holes in the sides to provide ventilation, the reason it may be smelling is that it retains it same old damp smell because it cannot air out. The same thing would go for all greens. Hope I helped! :)

I have been wondering the same thing lately. We give the boys cilantro every day but I can hardly get it to last five days in the fridge. Some good ideas!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.