Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do you make hay softer??

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
My pig has hay from Kaytee. As I got a little farther down in the bag, it got a little harder, and the hay was not as soft as it normally is. With horses, I know some horses drop their hay in water to soften it. Can I do this for Coco? I just bought the bag, so I have only been using it for about 2 days! What other things can I do to soften it?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Nothing that I know of. Soaking it in water is really a bad idea. Wet hay will get smelly and easily mold. Unfortunately, coarser hay is often the downfall of lower quality brands.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Nothing that I know of. Soaking it in water is really a bad idea. Wet hay will get smelly and easily mold. Unfortunately, coarser hay is often the downfall of lower quality brands.

I did not mean the whole bag, I meant something like soaking a day's worth at a time and giving it to him. So it should not be done at all?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't soak any of the hay. The excess water could still pool and make the cage smell or possibly soak your bedding. Does the harder hay bother you or your pig? If CoCo is eating the harder pieces, leave it alone. If you have some that are really stick-like, pull those out, so your pig doesn't get hurt.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Yes- It does not bother him. He eats all of it as usual. But, I just feel like I would like soft hay. So there is nothing that I can do. If he does npt eat it, don't use it?

Thanks

Last edited:

PigWooBus

Cavy Slave
You could try different brands if it is a consistent problem. I used to feed kaytee until I discovered oxbow. I like it much better, and I think my pigs do as well. Try the store finder at Oxbow Pet Products | Welcome if you want to find a store near you that sells it.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
This is the first time that it has been like that and I think i may switch to SweetMeadow. I am probably not going to switch to Oxbow because any place in my area that sells it either does nto accry it any longer, or is to far to travel. Or at least my parents are not willing to drive about 20+ miles for it. So, I am going to switch to Sweet Meadow which I found out is at my local Petstore!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Thanks to everyone who responded. Your responses were very helpful!