Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How do you know if two pigs have bonded with each other?

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
So, I have four pigs total, two to each cage, and two of them are just fighting all the time (Zoloft and Xanax). Every time they see each other, they lunge and fight, and it has turned to bloodshed, so they are now separated. I know that space isn't a problem because they continued to fight even during floor time in large spaces.

However, now that they are separated, they still try to get to each other and communicate through their own cages. They've been separated for 2 weeks, and still try to get to each other through the cages to be together. Does this mean they're bonded? I put them in floor time together to see how they would react, but they still end up fighting violently. I'm just not sure what this mixed signals business is about...

Thing is, if it comes down to it, I don't want to give one pig up if they are both bonded to each other, because I don't want either of them to end up depressed, but they still just fight all the time and draw blood. Is this a sign in that I should just have them separated and then after a few months try to rejoin them again, or do you think it's OK that I separate them for good? They are all under a year old, although in July they will be close to 10 months.

Are the other pigs male or female?

They are still going through adolescence, when their hormones are raging and they feel a need to be the dominant pig.

Don't put them together for floor time and then separate them. That makes it worse--each time they see each other they think they have to establish dominance all over again. How large is the cage you want them to live in? It doesn't matter how large the floor time area is--what matters is their cage size.

They're both males. The cage is 47'' x 24''.

I only had them together on the floor when I tried to see if they were ready to be together in one cage again; their separate cages are next to each other though because I thought they should at least be able to communicate with each other so they don't get lonely.

I'm still unsure if they're bonded or not...

How large is the cage you want them to live in? It doesn't matter how large the floor time area is--what matters is their cage size.

In regards to the cage size, I was just thinking then -- if I got a larger cage, would that end the fighting? I am hesitant to just keep buying larger and larger cages if they're just going to end up fighting no matter what. =/

Stop worrying about whether they are bonded. The word means different things to different people. What you want is a pair of pigs that won't keep fighting.

Your cage meets the minimum size for a pair of pigs. I only use that size for pairs that have been together for awhile and get along without fighting at all. I prefer at least 10.5 for a pair. Is yours a C&C Cage? Can you get more grids and expand it?

I'm confused--you have four pigs total. These two are males, what are the other two?

All my piggers are boys.

Basically, at one point when they were all still very young, they all were housed together in two Midwest guinea habitat cages that were joined together (Amazon.com: Midwest Expandable Guinea Habitat: Pet Supplies). That was the best of times, haha. But puberty hit, and because they started fighting with each other, I had to separate them for their health.

At that point, I disconnected the two cages, and I placed Prozac and Prince Valium together in one cage and Zoloft and Xanax in the other. Things are still fine with P & PV, but Z and X are not.

I am only worried about the ”bonding” of the two because of the possibility that I may have to give Xanax away, and I didn't want either to end up depressed if I had to do so. I asked mainly because, from my inexperienced view, they don't seem to like each other at all right now, but I just wanted to be sure since, again, I'm not an expert.

In the end, I want what's best for my boys, but since my hours got cut at my job, I don't have the money right now to build or buy a bigger cage.

So yeah.... I'm not really sure anymore what I should do. I'm sorry for all the confusion. Do you think if I did build the size cage you suggested, that they may be ok? Of course with puberty it's hard to say for sure though I guess.

I have nothing valuable to add but their names are cracking me up!!

Whatever moves into this house next that has a heartbeat is getting named one of those. Then I can look at people and tell them I need to go home and cuddle up with my Xanax! HA!

Do you think if I did build the size cage you suggested, that they may be ok? Of course with puberty it's hard to say for sure though I guess.

Unfortunately, you won't know for sure. With the way they are fighting right now, I would not consider them bonded in any way.

At that point, I disconnected the two cages, and I placed Prozac and Prince Valium together in one cage and Zoloft and Xanax in the other. . . . .
Ummmm .... Are you sure the issue is with your pigs? :crazy:
(sorry ... couldn't resist ... just playin' with ya)

I built a two-level cage for my two males - with a ramp between levels - and they seem to appreciate being able to hang in/on their own level if they so choose.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do. I too love the names.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.