Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food How do you keep your veggies fresh?

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
for a long period of time.

I put mine in plastic containers, and then in the bottom drawer of my fridge. Then stay fresh for about a week. I don't think they'll stay fresh much longer than that, but I've never really tried it.

The best way to keep veggies fresh is to chop them only when you are going to use a piece (so cut off a piece of pepper each day from a whole pepper), put them in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel and suck all the air out.

This may just be an old wives tales, but I've heard that putting your veggies in a cereal bag keeps them very fresh.

I guess there's something about the bag that really helps keep everything sealed up. I haven't tried it yet (since I just got my piggies a day ago), but it makes sense when you think about it. Think about how long cereal can stay fresh for in one of those bags.

Might be worth a shot.

A week is about all you can hope for with most veggies. Ditto kirsty91 -- they'll stay fresh if you only cut off what you're going to use at the time, not chopping the whole thing at once.

thanks for the tips! :)

I have some Tupperware fridge smart containers that have worked really well for me. They're a bit pricey, but I can keep my veggies nice and fresh for a week to ten days. It depends how fresh the veggies were when I bought them.

Ditto what others said about cutting only what you need, i also only rinse what i'm giving them right away, ie, cut what i need, put in the bowl, rinse. When veggies get wet, especially lettuce, it wilts and goes bad much faster. I would also separate tomatoes, as those tend to get everything yucky quickly. kirsty91 mentioned a damp paper towel and i've never done that, but i do put a dry paper towel in with things like cilantro, etc, that are wet so soak up the moisture and replace it as needed. Everything i cut bits off of goes in containers after that so the next time i just pull out the container, cut some off again, and put it back in the fridge when i'm done. It keeps everything together and easy to find, cut, put away.

after about 6 months, i have gotten much smarter (i hope) about their veggies. with only 3 pigs, it took me a while to NOT over buy! i HATE when food spoils, or having to throw out when i've bought too much. to avoid waste, i buy in the smallest amount i think i need, and then stop once during the week if i have to to replenish. i haven't had much success keeping veggies fresh for more than a few days. running in to quickly pick up a pepper or some lettuce is less painful than having spoilage.

Things like cilantro or parsley do well if you cut the bottom inch or so of the stems off and stand them upright in a glass of water in the fridge.

Has anyone used the Ziploc bags that you hand-puimp the air out of? How are they?

I simply use various sized plastic containers for the necessities-- Yellow Bell Pepper, Cilantro, and Red Leaf Lettuce.

For the rest, I don't do anything with them other than wrap them nice and tight in a plastic bag and refrigerate them.

And, for Strawberries/Grape Tomatoes, they often come in nice containers anyway. So, I keep them in that.

Also, as others have said, all veggies typically stay fresh for a week or so, container or not. So, you just have to work with what works best for you!

Good luck!

My mom had gotten some of those green bags a while back and just never used them. I've found that those actually keep things fresh for at least a week, often times more. I often reuse the bags...unless I forgot to put the veggies on a paper towel to cut them and accidentally cut into the bag. Since I've gotten a third pig, I hope to go through stuff quicker anyways.

i have a vegetable and fruit compartment in my fridge and my vegies have lasted a long time now. over a week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.