Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How do you add on to a C&C cage?

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I currently have two boars (Roland and Bentley) housed in a 2x4 C&C cage (purchased from this site) with an old pet store cage attached to the end. The pet store cage is a little bigger than 1x2 grids. There is a ramp that leads into the kitchen area.

I've recently adopted a third boar and I would like to have all three in the same cage, if possible. I realize that in order to do this, I need to expand the size of their cage. I was hoping to add an entire row so that it would be 3x4, with the 1x2 kitchen. In addition, I have a 1x2 coroplast base that I was originally going to use as a loft, but I am now thinking of adding it to the base to increase floor-space for laps and such.

So my question is this: How can I add to the pre-existing 2x4 coroplast base? I don't really want to go out and buy another base, mainly because I don't think the Home Depot near me has a piece of coroplast big enough. Should I cut off one of the current walls and then tape the new base to it?

Here's a rough floor plan of the cage I'd like to build. I like it because I think it'll be easy enough to put a divider in if the boys don't get along.
Cage

Do you think that is enough space for 3?

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
For the coroplast, you can tape smaller pieces to the existing piece to make it big enough for the whole space. My personal preference is to get a new sheet. I don't like it when it's all taped up. I find it hard to clean.

The size should be fine for 3 pigs.

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
I would buy a new sheet, but the biggest size my Home Depot has is 96" x 48", which is roughly 6x3 grids. That would be big enough length-wise, but it won't give me enough room to add sides to the width.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
That's the most common size. There are some stores that carry 5x10 ft sheet, but they're harder to find.

The 4x8 ft sheet is big enough for a 3x4 cage, if you make the side 3.5". A 3x4 cage is about 41"x56". You'll need 48"x63" for the walls to be 3.5" all-around. You'll have a leftover piece of 48"x33".

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
I'm worried about having 3.5" sides as one of my boars is still a baby. Do you think it's okay? Should I just keep the walls that height and double up the grids?

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
If you have extra grids, overlapping is good. Otherwise, you can add extra pieces of coroplast between the new one and the grids. Cardboard works too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.