Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How do I know my two boars are bonded?

Guinea Pigzzzzz

Cavy Slave
They are 5 months old, both always growing at the same rate, I can feel them getting bigger when I hold them, so I guess they are from the same litter or born at the same time.
Just recently this month Jojo started getting a bit territorial and chasing Momo away when he would want to be left alone in his hidey or while eating (blamed that on hormones).
I upgraded the cage from 2x9 grids to, 3x4 on one side and 2x6 on the other, so pretty huge for 2 pigs.
Well the last few days I noticed that they are getting a bit better with each other again, right now they are relaxing in the big hidey face to face and enjoying each others company again.
The chasing still occurs but it is a lot less than when it started, so that is a good sign.

But my question is, how will I know when they are fully bonded? What can I do to help them along?
I really care about my guinea pigs as they are my first small pets (former dog owner), and I want them to be extremely happy together. :)

From what I understand if they live together without killing each other that is considered bonded. I have two girls that are 4 and 5 and they still chatter and one nips the other, they have been together almost 4 years. I would say they are already bonded.

From what I understand if they live together without killing each other that is considered bonded. I have two girls that are 4 and 5 and they still chatter and one nips the other, they have been together almost 4 years. I would say they are already bonded.

OO cool, I hope you are right lol, I know there is always the possibility of a fallout so I just want to help them along so that does not occur.
My parents thought I was crazy caring so much for "rodents" (they called them that) lol, but even they can't deny how smart and cute they are now.

Well, not exactly. Simply tolerating being in the same cage with each other by not fighting doesn't necessarily mean bonded. If two pigs are bonded, they will do things like sleep near each other. Call to/look for each other when one is out of the cage.

Tolerating each other would be like being classmates vs being bonded is like being best friends.

[GuineaPigCages.com] How do I know my two boars are bonded?
This is a pic of two of my pigs who have since passed. They were the first two pigs I ever had. They did things like this all the time. I would consider them bonded.

Well, not exactly. Simply tolerating being in the same cage with each other by not fighting doesn't necessarily mean bonded. If two pigs are bonded, they will do things like sleep near each other. Call to/look for each other when one is out of the cage.

Tolerating each other would be like being classmates vs being bonded is like being best friends.

View attachment 28921
This is a pic of two of my pigs who have since passed. They were the first two pigs I ever had. They did things like this all the time. I would consider them bonded.

Yeahhh, that is exactly how my pigs use to be, up until this month.
Since Jojo has been acting up I have only seen them sleeping in the same hidey twice!
Though, they do graze together still, like right now I am watching them and they are chewing on the same tunnel together side by side.
When I put hay out for them, they will eat together first, but I have two kitchen area so they split up later on.
They never sleep in the wooden house together though, with the wooden house its who ever got there first.
I think everything will work itself out, I give them TONS of attention (I work from home usually, dispatching) and am always keeping them distracted from fighting I guess.
The behavior is calming down though, so hopefully they get back to normal soon!

Thanks for the reply and super cute picture!

While two pigs who are bonded may sleep together and "snuggle" like the two pigs in the picture, pigs can be bonded while still liking their personal space. Pigs seem to like their personal space more than other social species. So, just because your pigs aren't snugglers, this doesn't mean that they're not bonded.

Looking for each other when out of the cage is a good indicator of bondedness, though. This means that they miss their friend and want them to come back.

ETA: I just read your post - we must have been typing at the same time. Young pigs are much more likely to snuggle than older pigs. Most pigs grow out of snuggling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.