Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions How do I introduce 2 male guinea pigs? Should I?

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
I have a single guinea pig I got two months ago. I decided that it'd be best to get him a cage mate, so he won't be lonely when I'm gone. The only thing I'm nervous about is two males. I've heard some bad stories about males together, but I have no other option. All animal clinics near me won't have appointments with guinea pigs. Because of that, I have a couple questions.
1. Is it true that introducing a young guinea pig to another guinea pig easier? If it is true, is 4 months old not considered young enough?
2. When I introduce them to each other it has to be on neutral ground. Does that mean anything other than their cages? Or somewhere both pigs haven't been yet?
3. Should I risk getting another male guinea pig? Or just leave Ollie as a loner?

Umpire 73

Cavy Slave
I have a single guinea pig I got two months ago. I decided that it'd be best to get him a cage mate, so he won't be lonely when I'm gone. The only thing I'm nervous about is two males. I've heard some bad stories about males together, but I have no other option. All animal clinics near me won't have appointments with guinea pigs. Because of that, I have a couple questions.
1. Is it true that introducing a young guinea pig to another guinea pig easier? If it is true, is 4 months old not considered young enough?
2. When I introduce them to each other it has to be on neutral ground. Does that mean anything other than their cages? Or somewhere both pigs haven't been yet?
3. Should I risk getting another male guinea pig? Or just leave Ollie as a loner?
After a month one of our newly purchased baby male pigs died in an accident.
The next day I got a baby male from Petco and introduced them on neutral ground-- our bed.
The older pig sniffed and humped the younger one for a minute or so and then they both went into an igloo that I had placed on the bed.
From that moment on they were cage mates and best of friends for over 4 years.
Yes -- get him a friend. You will all be happier.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the bible on guinea pig introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

And yes, do get him a buddy. There'll be adjustment problems at any age, but it may be easier if you take him a reputable rescue and let him pick out his own friend.

Also, make sure the cage is large enough. A small cage is a major reason for guinea pig aggression, and two boars will need about 12 square feet of space at a minimum.

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
Here's the bible on guinea pig introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

And yes, do get him a buddy. There'll be adjustment problems at any age, but it may be easier if you take him a reputable rescue and let him pick out his own friend.

Also, make sure the cage is large enough. A small cage is a major reason for guinea pig aggression, and two boars will need about 12 square feet of space at a minimum.

I just built a 2 by 5 c&c cage which is about 10.5ft. Do you think that's okay? I read somewhere that that's suitable for 2 guinea pigs both male and female.
I'm buying my guinea pig in just a couple hours, so this is really helpful at this time. Thank you!

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
I just built a 2 by 5 c&c cage which is about 10.5ft. Do you think that's okay? I read somewhere that that's suitable for 2 guinea pigs both male and female.
I'm buying my guinea pig in just a couple hours, so this is really helpful at this time. Thank you!

2 by 4* My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
I have a 16 sqft cage for my 2 males and they still act like it's not enough and yes 10.5 is minimum but you want 7.5 sqft per guinea pig so 15 sqft is better also if they don't get along you can put up a divider and they will each have 7.5 sqft and be much happier...

DisneyQueen

Cavy Slave
In case you haven't read bpatters' link yet, I'd just like to point out that if you are buying your pig from a pet store, you need to quarantine it for a minimum of 2 weeks; I'm pretty sure 3 weeks is the recommended time. Ideally, any pig should be quarantined unless you personally know the breeder and are 100% sure that their piggies don't have any health issues that can be spread among the pigs.

Just wanted to point this out because someone else left a comment, and they didn't quarantine their new pig according to their story. Which is a mistake that a lot of people make, I did it myself years back when I had very little knowledge about guineas.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave

A 2x5 is good, but bigger is always better. Go as large as you can...You can try a 2x4 but you may need to expand. I'd really recommend a 2x6 for 2 males.

A ton of people have a pair of males. Don't go based off of the "bad stories". In the end, it all comes down to their personalities rather than their age and gender. Males can live just as happily as females.

Please adopt, don't buy from a pet store or breeder. There are so many guinea pigs out there, in rescues and shelters, of all ages and breeds looking for their forever home. Trust me, you'll get a much healthier, happier animal from a rescue/shelter than a pet store or breeder. People view shelters as dirty and loud, and they like the idea of going to a pet store and getting "new" baby animals, but they shouldn't. Shelters and rescues care about the animals...pet stores and most breeders don't. Every time a person buys any live animal from a pet store or breeder, they are making them breed more in terrible conditions. It's not right. Sows are constantly pregnant and are kept in small spaces. Do some research to learn more about what goes on behind closed doors... There are a couple videos on this YouTube channel about PetSmart's and Petco's supply warehouses (where they get their animals from).

https://www.youtube.com/user/officialpeta

If you look up "Peta petsmart videos" there will be a whole bunch of them.

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
I personally don't believe anything peta says and does they kill more animals than they supposedly save ..they use to go to dog shows and open cages while owners weren't looking and you had dogs running loose on busy streets yeah that's much better but I don't deny pet stores don't care for them like true owners who love them do and besides where do you think most if shelter guinea pigs come from ? People who bought them from pet stores and couldn't properly care for them ,but I am for adoption if you can and it depends on adoption place to some aren't any better than pet stores

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
There is no excuse for buying animals from pet stores. Peta did show footage of animals being tortured for Petsmart and Petco. How that is fake, I do not know. The only reason I gave their videos was because they showed the truth; I was not focusing on Peta but rather what goes on with pet stores.

Are you saying you think it's okay for pet stores to breed more innocent, helpless animals just so there'd be more in shelters? That doesn't make any sense. The goal is to stop pet stores from selling live animals. There are so many guinea pigs in the world, it wouldn't make a difference if pet stores didn't sell them anymore. There's too many even.

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
No I agree that it should stop I'm just saying peta is known to over exaggerate there finds to make it look like that's how it is everywhere and they take the worse case scenarios and make it look like that's how every place runs things and in most cases it's not true ....

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
And getting rid of pet stores isn't going to stop over population yes it will decrease it but people buy animals from puppymills online without ever stepping in a pet store and spend thousands of dollars same probably with most exotic animals most are bought online or at black markets or flea markets

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
I've checked shelters near me, they didn't have any guinea pigs. I bought from a pet store both times. The shelters around me only have cats/dogs, so it was impossible for me to adopt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Craigslist is always an option. A pig of mine came from there. There are guinea pigs on there all the time. I always try to look at every possible place/option before turning to a pet store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.