Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How do I get the fleece bedding to stay in place?

amlekander

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I just got my two new babies....Lego and Titanic. My son named them.

Here's my question. I just bought my C&C cage and put fleece down but the fleece gets scrunch up and moved around so much! How do you get it to stay in one place? The pictures here show perfect cages with the fleece going up the cloroplast sides and they are staying in 1 place. There is no way I can scoop up the poop because the fleece isn't taunt enough. I hope I am explaining this well enough.

Please help a new piggie mommy!

What do you have under the fleece?

I use uhaul blankets(shredded denim compressed together to for a blanket) and tuck the fleece edges under the blanket. I use two uhaul blankets, each folded in half, to fit my 2x10 L shapes cage(2x5 and 2x5). The weight of the blanket keeps the fleece in place, also the friction of fleece on denim, just make sure there are no wrinkles and the fleece is flat.

Edited: if your fleece is big enough you can have it go over the coroplast edge and either tuck it between the grids and coroplast Or use binder clips to attach it to the coroplast edge. Also you can sew a liner that fits the coroplast bottom and has pockets to fit the edge.

Whatsoever you use to scoop poops? I just use my hands, and wash them after. I tried other methods but they were slow and less precise.

Last edited:
Different layers work nicely. Lately I only use fleece underneath some houses that are fairly heavy. That way the weight of the house can keep the fleece down easily. Otherwise I get the vacuumer on low speed with the extra air allowance before the trunk, flip the mouth 45% and just go ahead. With 2 pigs I don't bother pickign it up by hand.

On the top floor I use binder clips and attach the fleece to the coroplast. On the bottom floor I put the grids over the fleece and use bricks in a few spots to hold it in place.

I took my fleece and u-haul pad and sewed it into a liner. In my opinion, it's super convenient to just be able to lay on "layer" down in the cage instead of having to place them one by one. And you never have to worry about the fleece being scrunched or burrowed under.

My fleece is folded tightly over the edges of the Uhaul pad and doesn't move around one bit. I'm probably going to steal Catahoula's method tonight and try my hand at a permanent liner, just to save the annoyance of folding everything each time.

I've nothing to add in terms of how to make it taut that no one else hasn't already said. However, I'd like to suggest using a soup ladle to scoop the poop, if you don't want to use your hands. It just glides across the fleece and is a lot easier/faster than using a brush/dustpan.

For spot cleaning to scoop the poops I also use my hands but with disposable polyethylene gloves. And of course I wash my hands afterwards.

You can also buy some small bricks/ceramic tiles and place them in the corners. You can have 2 bricks in opposite corners and put the water bottles over to help prevent them from leaking on the fleece. The bricks are absorbant so it will suck up any drips. Then 2 ceramic tiles in the other 2 opposite corners so that that you can use to place veggies on and they can lay on to stay cool during the warm months... You can also make and attatch towels/uhaul/terry cloth etc to the fleece and/or you can attatch velcro to the bottoms. My fleece pads and beds wiggle around a bit so I hold it with the dust pan while I'm sweeping and then I either scoop it up from the middle or I scoot it off onto the coro and scoop it up from there.

You can buy velcro at a craft store (Micheals) and sew it to the bottom of the fleece and glue (hot glue with hot glue gun) the other part of the velcro to the bottom of your coroplast.

Let us know what you are using under your fleece, if you sew a liner with towels or uhaul pads with fleece on top, it is heavy enough to stay in place.

You can buy velcro at a craft store (Micheals) and sew it to the bottom of the fleece and glue (hot glue with hot glue gun) the other part of the velcro to the bottom of your coroplast.

Let us know what you are using under your fleece, if you sew a liner with towels or uhaul pads with fleece on top, it is heavy enough to stay in place.

You might want to try gorilla glue or something like that for attaching the velcro to the coroplast. When I've tried using hot glue, the velcro comes off.

I just pic up my fleece once a day and shake it out in the corner of my back yard. I keep 2 sets and switch out every other day leaving one outside to air out and wash all once a week.

Thank you so much everyone! So many ideas!

I tried the fleece before and wasn't impressed. The poo doesn't smell at all, it's the urine....What are these Uhaul pads y'all are talking about? Are they the quilted ones or the blankets?

They are the blanket ones priced $7.95 I love them :) Im an army wife too. 3 years left til retirement woohoo :) My hubby is a recruiter here just west of Portland Oregon.

I tried the fleece before and wasn't impressed. The poo doesn't smell at all, it's the urine....What are these Uhaul pads y'all are talking about? Are they the quilted ones or the blankets?

I guess the urine it's the most stinky with any bedding, wood shavings included. The poops are quite OK, just scoop them daily and that's it.

Mine is in Afghanistan right now and supposed to retire when he comes home next month! Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the info on the blankets......I'll try those before totally giving up and dealing with the shavings everywhere for the rest of my life!

Congrats to you both :) I cannot wait til that day comes. We love where we live so at 20 hes done. We dont want to move again and that will surely happen if he stays in. We just got to this duty station back in November. And yeah try them its only $8 dollars I have tried both and hate the shavings I was non stop vacuming with those and it smelled like a farm lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.