Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets How can you tell a high quality pellet?

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
I am feeding my guinea pigs Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health with DHA Omega 3, long lasting vit C. I have no idea if its a good quality pellet. Is there anyway to tell from the packaging or do you just go by the price. Higher the price=best quality?

Noooooo!!!
Well Kaytee Forti-Diet has WAY TO MUCH Alfalfa, which is horrible for pigs over 6 months.
It DEFINETLY does not depend on price.
1.) First no little artificial colorful bits of nuts and seeds
2.)The first and largest ingredient should be hay, Specifically Timothy Hay :)
3.)Make sure there is Pretty much NO alfalfa
4.)The pellets should have a minimum amount of artificial ingredients
5.)The best are: Oxbow,Sweet Meadows,and Kleen Mamas, or GOOD Farm,Feed & Supply Stores :3
Hope this helped out

Thanks! 6 of my 7 guinea pigs are under 6 months and I just rescued one from the SPCA last weekend and she is 1 year. I know alfalfa is bad for older guinea pigs but I thought it was ok for younger ones because of the high calcium and that helps with growing. They always have access to fresh timothy hay. Should I still switch them all over to a timothy hay based pellet or wait until they are a bit older?

so oxbow is the best? my babies are 2 -3 weeks . im providing them oxbow pellet ( for babies)

What about Vit C, is that important in a pellet or should they just be getting that from fresh veggies?

@jm_1234 : To clarify,

-All pigs should have a diet containing timothy hay.

-Pigs under 6 mths (which you said 6 of yours are) need their diet supplemented with alfalfa pellets.

-Under 6 mths can have unlimited pellets. Over 6 mths old get 1/8 cup of pellets per pig daily.

-Pellets are the least important part of their diet. The most important is hay (for digestion and wearing down of their teeth. The 2nd most important is veggies (for nutrition including their source for vit C). The last is pellets.

-Kaytee products are low quality. As others have said, Kleenmamas is the best, Oxbow comes in a close second.

I agree with all of you, but in my experience, Kaytee isn't all bad! ( cue shocked looks :)) I hate anything other than their hay! I got their timothy hay to start off, and it was affordable, and I have no complaints! The people who made their pellet recipe on the other hand should be burned at the stake!!!!! :) I'm sure that there is better hay out there, but Kaytee (surprisingly) doesn't have such bad hay if your in a pinch! Sorry, I just had to put that out there! :)

Mazuri 5664 is also an acceptable pellet. It's alfalfa based so only 1/8 cup should be fed per day while the timothy based pellets can be fed up to 1/4 cup a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.