Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool How can my guinea Pig keep cool? And are they allowed to drink Orange juice?

GuineaPigs530

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have two imporant questions. 1st, how can I keep my piggies cool for the summer? Its 90F and I can't put them outside or they will get heat stroke. And 2nd question, can I give my piggies Orange Juice? Like orange juice you buy at the store? Thanks!

How hot does it get inside the house? I think I'd buy a cheap thermometer and figure that out. Beyond a certain temp, I think I'd invest in a small cooling system that you put into your window.

Some helpful things you can do are:

-icey treats- I'll chop some cilantro, bell pepper into a food processor until it's "minced" then freeze it. I'll then let it thaw slightly for a few minutes on the counter and then feed it to the pigs
- Put a water bottle with ice a cool water in a sock so they can cuddle up next to it
- Pet stores also sell something called a Chin Chiller. It's marble slab. Marble stays somewhat cool.

Don't give your pigs orange juice. Extremely sugary. Why do you want to give them such things? Have you taken a look at the nutrition chart in the nutrition section? That will set you up with a healthy diet.
They should only be drinking pure water...

I don't have oranges to give them, so I didn't know what to give them for vitimen C. And I do give them a slice of orange.

Oranges are not only sugary, but acidic. Frequent feedings of oranges can result in diabetes and mouth sores. it's much better for them to get their vitamin C from something such as a bell pepper.

here is the link to the nutrition chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

It clearly states the frequency in which you can feed things, calcium content, vitamin C content, etc. How old are your piggies?

Many veggies do offer a source of vitamin C so that is one place for your pig to get it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.