Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight How can I help my overweight boys?

Raine59

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted 3 boys from a GP rescue (they were being fostered in a private home) who are all overweight. The foster mom said she had had them about 2 months and had actually managed to get a bit of weight off the 2 smaller ones (who aren't so small) even though she had them in a much smaller cage than the original owner. I'm really concerned about the biggest one who is 1500 grams and clearly obese. They are in a good size cage (3 x 5) so they have plenty of room to move, but they aren't too active. I give them the recommended amounts of pellets/veggies. I'm wondering what else I can do to slim them down. The biggest boy is pictured below and before anyone suggests I have a pregnant female, he is very obviously a boy, if you know what I mean. [GuineaPigCages.com] How can I help my overweight boys?

Well, I just took Griffin to the vet today and I think that I can help.

He is a little chubby, but not obese. We just don't want him to get too much bigger, and stay where he is now.

Even if you are feeding 1/1.5 cups of veggies per day, it matters what you are feeding. My vet says that carrots can be fattening if fed on too regular a basis. They are okay to eat (they will not cause harm), they can just lead to weight gain in the long run.

Why don't you get them some fun, really long tunnels? My pigs love tunnels, and I'm sure that even the most sedentary of pigs would love a new toy. Best of luck to you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.