Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss How Can I Help My Guinea Pig To Gain A Bit Of Weight?

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
As I posted before about my Guinea Pig (Sheamus) having a lesion, according to the vet it was probably an underlying issue before we adopted them which has caused him to become ill, so far he's had conjunctivitis, ear infection and a URI. The vet also said that he would have been eating a lot but not putting weight on because of this. Now he's on the mend I wanted to ask if there was a weight for me to help him bulk up, as I said in my other thread the other Guinea Pig (Big E) is somewhat bigger than Sheamus (Yes we are WWE fans lol). I know they have different metabolisms but he seems a bit too small to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Kerrie

Amalee

Cavy Slave
1 small serving banana a week - about the size of a water bottle cap
servings of apples and watermelon (low sugar, low acid) a week
2 small servings a week RAW!!! corn a week - keep servings far apart
Raw corn husks and silk every day
1 half
baby carrot a week

In addition to their regular serving of lettuce, green bell pepper, and 1/8th cup of pellets a day.

I suggest you weigh your pig daily and I do not suggest any pig besides a cuy be over 3.5Lbs.
A guinea pig over 2Lbs-2.5Lbs and keeping a stable weight of 2Lbs-2.5Lbs is not likely to be considered underweight by medical standards.

Please invest in a scale. Here is a good one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QRWEBK
Weigh daily, morning and night or before any big feedings and keep a log.
If your guinea pig loses more than 4 ounces in any given time get them to an emergency vet ASAP.

If your pig is not having much appetite due to medications:
http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#preparation

Edited by bpatters: Fruit is not the best way for a guinea pig to gain weight. Sugar can upset their digestive tracts, and make it even more difficult for them to gain. You are far better served by slightly increasing the amount of pellets they get, and making sure they have lots of good fresh hay.

Additionally, while guinea pigs can quickly lose weight if they are ill, it often takes weeks or months for them to regain the lost weight. Be patient, and keep weighing on a regular basis -- once a week is fine unless they're ill. Weigh at the same time of day, preferably before breakfast and record their weights so you'll know what the pattern is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the advice/info. He definitely has a big appetite and always seems to be hungry? In fact I would say when we put their veg in he eats a majority of it. He's been to the vets three times. Like I said they think it's because his body has been trying to fight the lesion and his different illnesses.

We have some scales, I'll ask my son to weigh him when he gets up. They don't seem to like peppers :(

Thanks again :D I'll let you know how he gets on :)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
How much does he weigh now? How old is he? I don't get this: Feeding fruits even once or twice a week will not help him "bulk up." Plus that much fruit a week is way too much sugar which can cause diabetes.

I don't get the above fruit menu. All it is is adding a lot of sugar. If your vet isn't saying you need to bulk him up (and how) then you don't need to. He will get to where he should be in time. Just make sure he isn't losing weight, that's the key, not bulking them up unless your vet said to.

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
I don't think the vet has mentioned bulking him up to my son. I'll ask him and let you know his weight when we weigh him, he was underweight the last time we weighed him. I'll just keep a close eye on him and make sure he's weight often.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Definitely do not bulk him up if not needed! The above menu is based on my own personal experience and research. Apples, watermelon, and raw corn have the highest calories and are the safest to feed as far as calories, sugar and acidic properties - based on my own knowledge. Banana is a bit higher in sugar however it is higher in calorie, which is why it should only be given once a week. It shouldn't be followed for more than a month, since a recovering guinea pig should respond in that time, if not only a week. Their vet said he was underweight the last time he was weighed, so if @Artista thinks there's a better and healthier route to putting weight on a guinea pig, feel free to make suggestions and correct me instead of saying you don't understand it. Green bell pepper is the most important @Kerrie Johnston as it has Vitamin C which is crucial.

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
Yes Sheamus is definitely underweight and has been since we got him due to this lesion. I was asking about helping him gain weight because he has eaten lots but not gain any, obviously we know why now, but I wanted to help him because like I said he looks small in comparison to Big E. I just want to help him is all.

Amalee I will persevere with the peppers :) thank you very much for the information and advice, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
If anyone more knowledgeable on this can review my suggestions and make sure I'm not suggesting anything harmful, please let me know so I don't do it again! Goodluck with the peppers. Try green, red, and yellow, as well as the small ones, there may be one that they like. I don't think it can be used as a replacement but parsley has Vitamin C as well and seems to be a safe additive to the diet. They may like that as well but it is a bit high in calcium. I'd look into mustard spinach as well. A lot of vegetables besides bell peppers tend to be too high in other things - a supplement of some sort may be needed if they're stubborn about it and you're unsure of the Vitamin C in your pellets. I hope Sheamus gets all better! :)

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks again :)

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't try the fruits first to bulk him up. Seperate him when he and his cage mate eat. That's what I do with my pigs. They each get their own pile of hay, 1/8 cup of pellets, green peppers, red/green leaf lettuce, and I switch off between green beans and tomatoes (carrots every 4-7 days) and that helped my pig gain weight.

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
The thing is, they are in the same room as us so we can see who is eating what, the underweight one does eat more. However I'll do as you've suggested.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Depending on how old your pig is, I wouldn't recommend providing parsley more than once a week. It's a calcium rich veg that can cause excess excretion, leading to bladder stones.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
My pigs also like it when I seperate them to eat, because even when they have their own pellets, veg, and hay they dont like being in eachothers space. They so snack through out the day together and enjoy that, they just don't like eating breakfast and dinner together.

Kerrie Johnston

Cavy Slave
Sorry I keep forgetting to say how old they are, well because we adopted them from a rescue place the woman wasn't 100% sure, she said they're around 18 months old.

My guineas are fine eating together normally, but then I only have the two.

Thank you to those who have give me advice :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.