Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How can I find the perfect friend for my pig?

Casperthepig

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm new here! I have a 7 month old boy named Casper. He doesn't seem particularly lonely (seeing as I spend most of my days with him) but I have been thinking about getting a second guinea pig to keep him company while I'm not here (and, what can I say, I really adore guinea pigs).

I've been looking at shelters and different rescue groups and have found a few other boys that aren't part of a bonded pair...I'm just not sure what traits or qualities to look for that would mesh well with Casper!

I won't be getting another pig until my C&C cage is made (which will be about a month from now) so I have some time to keep searching. I guess I just need some advice from you guys!

If it helps, Casper is a really quiet guy. He loves spending time with me and running around his cage, however he's not super active during floor time. I have absolutely no idea if he's the dominating type, since he's not around other piggies! I just really want to find him a friend that he can bond with...

A lot of rescues will let you bring your piggy along for an intro to see if they get along well, so just find a piggy you would be interested in getting, then email/call the rescue and see if you can set up something like that.

the only thing that's for sure is you should get a companion pig that is either the same gender, or neutered - no breeding!! other than that it's pretty much impossible to predict ahead of time how pigs will get along. males, especially need plenty of room, so make sure your c&c cage is at least the recommended size for 2 pigs, if not bigger. try to find a rescue that will let you bring your pig for a meet and greet to see if they get along initially, though that's no guarantee either. i took one of my boys with me, and he got along great with the pig i chose to adopt, but once we got home they hated each other and had to be separated. they all have their own personalities. i thought my pig george was a shy older guy, and right now, he's the one causing all sorts of mayhem in the cage. hopefully it's just a phase. anyway - good luck. with guinea pigs you're just never bored! also, if you haven't already done so, go to https://www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html (i think that's the right link)and read the social life section, especially the part about bringing a new pig home.

Last edited:
Thank you both! I'll definitely do that and keep you guys posted :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.