Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size How big four guinea pigs???

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i have 30 grids now and going to expand to 2x6 with a lid would that be big enough for 4 guinea pigs because the website you buy the cage from says wrong i show you
this cage is suitable for 1 guinea pig
(broken link removed)
this cage is suitable for 2 guinea pigs
(broken link removed)
this is suitable for 2-4 guinea pigs
(broken link removed)
this suitable for 2-5 guinea pigs
(broken link removed)
this is suitable for 2-6 guinea pigs
(broken link removed)
i am sure that this would give people the wrong idea like i did and i used have my 2 guinea pigs used to be in 2x3 cage and now they are in 2x5 cage but soon i am upgrading to 2x6 cage for 4 piggies i am getting soon so altogether i will have 4 piggies in a fully closed 2x6 and i can move it around.
so is the right measuring
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Homeis the metrics on this right or are the cages right

My 4 piggies wont get along in anything smaller than a 2x7 but they are boars. I think 2x6 is the minimum.

2X6 is the very minimum, bigger is always much better. I have a 2X5 and a 3X5 with a 2X2 loft for my four guinea pigs (Makes about a 40 square foot cage) and it still feels way to small for them , and I'm hoping to get them a bigger cage when I move.

The sizing requirements sound a bit weird to me anyways. I don't understand how 4 pigs can live in a 2x6 with all the necessary hidey houses, and still have room to run around.

I use fleece draped over corners. It keeps the cage clutter free. :)

i have 2 girls and will be getting another 2 girls soon would that be big enought for 4 girls

@MissJean I was thinking the same thing, the only thing that I could come up with is that part of it may be because most people would be ok with having a 2X6 in their house, but if you told them the minimum for 4 guinea pigs was a 3X6 or something like that, they would think it's totally crazy, and decided not to switch to a C&C.

Though that's most likely totally wrong...Just a guess. xD

I have 3 pigs in a 2x6, but I'm seriously considering making a 3x5 instead...

My four are in a 3 x 6, for 18 sq ft. All they ever do is hide anyway. >(
BTW, I hate these cage sizes. 2 x 6 should be 12 sq ft, but the grids are 14 inches, so the math would be....bbllppptttt! :p I have no idea! Just make it as big as you can fit into the space, LOL.

Just had to go and use cleverness and logic, didn't you? Hmph. :grumpy:
LOL! We have the same sense of humor!

I have four female pigs in a 3x6 and they have a ball! I like the 3x6 because there is plenty of space in the middle for hideys and they can run laps around them. A 2x6 was way too narrow and not nearly enough space for them to run and popcorn and have their hideys. Of course they move the hideys wherever they feel they should be but they start off in the middle :D

ok guys so should i put my four piggies in a 3x6 cage please let me know cause i am going shopping this saturday to get more grids i need 37 more i do cause i already have 15

IF you can do a 3x6 I would highly recommend that! I have 2 adolescent boars in a 2x6 with a 2x1 loft and I think it's perfect for the 2 of them...however, wider would give them more running room which I think they would love :)

My four are in a 3 x 6, for 18 sq ft. All they ever do is hide anyway. >(
BTW, I hate these cage sizes. 2 x 6 should be 12 sq ft, but the grids are 14 inches, so the math would be....bbllppptttt! :p I have no idea! Just make it as big as you can fit into the space, LOL.

A 3x6 would actually be 24.5 sq ft :) To figure out square footage of the cages:

number of grids wide times 14. (3 * 14=42)
divide that number by 12 and you have the width of the cage in feet. (42/12= 3.5)

number of grids long times 14 (6 * 14= 84)
divide that number by 12 and you have the length in feet (84/12= 7)

now multiply length times width and you have the sq ft of the cage! (7 * 3.5= 24.5) :)

My 4 piggies wont get along in anything smaller than a 2x7 but they are boars. I think 2x6 is the minimum.

Wow! You have 4 piggie boars sharing a cage! So it can be done!

A 3x6 would actually be 24.5 sq ft :) To figure out square footage of the cages:

I didn't use grids, I used the white wire shelving for the whole cage, including the lid. So the shelving is 16 inches high, 3ft x 6 ft. I have 10 feral cats here, it had to be really strong to protect the piggers. I think that's also why I have such a hard time figuring out the grids in sq ft, because I'm used to thinking in actual footage, not 14 inch increments.

Wow! You have 4 piggie boars sharing a cage! So it can be done!

Yes it can! All of my boars were single males when I got them ranging from 4 months to 3 years. They all get along great! It can be done and it should be. Guinea pigs are herd animals they need companionship of their own kind to be happy. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.