Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions How are we doing? :D

rubypig

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

Ok so our pup Sunny is 2 weeks today, I am seeing a very nice curve in weight gain, he now weighs 8.8oz and eating full big piggy food!

I know I have one more week before I move him in with Ruby my make piggy so I wanted to know if I should be aiming for moving him on the 21st day or before? He is not showing any mating behaviour still but my male is very dominant and I know he is going to be quite rough before I we went through the same thing when initially introducing Ruby to Sunny's mother (we were told Ruby was female, but even so Ruby did not father Sunny, Chilly was pregnant when we got her, very long story...!)

Any advice on moving time? I am hesitant because he seems so much more timid and cutely naive in comparison to Ruby!

You will just have to try it and see how it goes. Ruby may bully him a bit but if your little guy doesn't try and dominate him he should just see him as not a threat. I just moved a little guy in with my big guy about a month ago and they get along fine.

Before you just plop the newcomer Guinea Pig in the cage with your other Piggy, you need to properly do actual INTRODUCTIONS. This means you need to set up an enclosure or get into a room that you can use for a good hour or more. Make it a NEUTRAL area-- No Piggy has been here before! Preferably indoors, also. Set the Piggies in, feed them their Veggies for a feeding, and make sure they have a lot of items that the Piggy will have once it gets into it's new cage-- Hay Manger, Water Bottle, some hideys.

Let them get to know each other.

If introductions go well, then put them in the cage together. Make sure they have enough space, so if something does happen as you said the new one is skittish, they can escape from each other.

ALSO: Make SURE your cage is 100% cleaned before you put the Piggies in. You need to scrub the Coroplast. I use a 50% White Distilled Vinegar and 50% plain Water solution to scrub. Let it sit for a bit, then wipe it down and put in some fresh bedding. This can make the cage neutral, and the newcomer won't get a whiff of a smell and become uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Hi and thanks for the replies. Yes I'm aware of having the introduction neutral, I have a complete other room that I will do that it, they'll have free roam with no obstacles and tons of space. I know i need to make the cage like brand new before putting both back in. I use the vinegar water solution and wipe down after a bit of a wait, I was a bit worried about about if I should be wiping it down with water or not?! Haven't had any problems so far but is the reminders if the solution ok on the coroplast? I mean reminence as in after thoroughly wiping down there will still be traces of it.

I use white distiller but also was curious as to why regular brown vinegar is not used? Is it due to the color?

Ruby will definitely rumble strut and probably try to mount Sunny as this is his usually behaviours to a newbie, then he cries when the newbie walks away! He is not aggressive and won't bite but the rear end sniffing and poking/nudging is most probably what will happen.

With regards to moving time, should I wait the full 3 weeks? I know why the 3 week guide is in place but I read somewhere that when 400gm weight is reached even if before the 3 weeks they should be separated. I also read that 3 weeks was out in place by laboratories using guinea pigs, I don't know how true that is but like to cross check my information. Some sites advise 5 weeks! I don't want another surprise pregnancy!

Thanks, very very useful info and very informative, backing up the info I already know is also good peace of mind too.

Hi and thanks for the replies. Yes I'm aware of having the introduction neutral, I have a complete other room that I will do that it, they'll have free roam with no obstacles and tons of space. I know i need to make the cage like brand new before putting both back in. I use the vinegar water solution and wipe down after a bit of a wait, I was a bit worried about about if I should be wiping it down with water or not?! Haven't had any problems so far but is the reminders if the solution ok on the coroplast? I mean reminence as in after thoroughly wiping down there will still be traces of it.

I use white distiller but also was curious as to why regular brown vinegar is not used? Is it due to the color?

Ruby will definitely rumble strut and probably try to mount Sunny as this is his usually behaviours to a newbie, then he cries when the newbie walks away! He is not aggressive and won't bite but the rear end sniffing and poking/nudging is most probably what will happen.

With regards to moving time, should I wait the full 3 weeks? I know why the 3 week guide is in place but I read somewhere that when 400gm weight is reached even if before the 3 weeks they should be separated. I also read that 3 weeks was out in place by laboratories using guinea pigs, I don't know how true that is but like to cross check my information. Some sites advise 5 weeks! I don't want another surprise pregnancy!

Thanks, very very useful info and very informative, backing up the info I already know is also good peace of mind too.

I have just used White Vinegar because I had it. Now that I think of it, that is all I have heard of to use as well. I would imagine because anything that doesn't match the Coroplast's color would stain, especially considering I let the Vinegar sit.

I would wait the full 3 weeks just in case, because you can never be too safe. If you have to seriously think about "well I don't know if I should move them early or not" you should just wait. Usually an owner's initiative is the right one, and your's seems to be. So yes, I would wait 3 weeks.

I haven't heard about the weight predicament........ I can't imagine why there is a 400gm separation weight....... I will let somebody else answer, but I haven't heard of that.

Good luck again!

;)

Oh yay! We haven't heard of Chilly's baby in quite some time, glad for an update! Other then that, I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to mention that. Oh, I've never heard of the 400gm separation. And five weeks is much to long, Chilly would be pregnant again. Four weeks is the max, and that's only if the pup has problems and needs extra milk. Otherwise, take him out at three weeks.

Hiiii! Yes I guess this thread is an update too! He is eatable he is just so cuuuute! He'd rather eat from my hand then the bowls! Although he know the foods in his bowl when I'm not giving it too him! So funny he just runs up to my hand immediately!

The site I read the 400gms on is here under "male facts" just if anyone's wondering where I read that. (broken link removed)

I wouldn't go by that info myself but was curious to see if it was something anyone else heard off. Just really want to do the best I can for my babies!

I will post some new photos too ASAP or when I get a second to my self I should say... A real slave to my cavies!

I think I'll carry in with the white vinegar but would be interesting to hear if anyone has experience with other vinegar types?

All the bedding is fleece so easy to clean that, I made the hay wracks out of coroplast from a thread I found here, they love them! Keeps everything nice and tidy too, I also use a cat litter tray with two sides cut right down to the floor and I put extra hay on that which gets changed frequently, they seem to have taken to it like a toilet which is great! Lollll

Hiiii! Yes I guess this thread is an update too! He is eatable he is just so cuuuute! He'd rather eat from my hand then the bowls! Although he know the foods in his bowl when I'm not giving it too him! So funny he just runs up to my hand immediately!

The site I read the 400gms on is here under "male facts" just if anyone's wondering where I read that. (broken link removed)

I wouldn't go by that info myself but was curious to see if it was something anyone else heard off. Just really want to do the best I can for my babies!

I will post some new photos too ASAP or when I get a second to my self I should say... A real slave to my cavies!

I think I'll carry in with the white vinegar but would be interesting to hear if anyone has experience with other vinegar types?

All the bedding is fleece so easy to clean that, I made the hay wracks out of coroplast from a thread I found here, they love them! Keeps everything nice and tidy too, I also use a cat litter tray with two sides cut right down to the floor and I put extra hay on that which gets changed frequently, they seem to have taken to it like a toilet which is great! Lollll

Really, though, you will only find that information at that website most likely.

:)

Awww! What a sweetie! I can't wait to see pictures!

I've never heard that before, and I don't really understand how a male's weight could interfere with when he's active? I don't know.

I've never really thought about, I always seem to just have white vinegar anyways, so it's not really a problem.

I agree, I couldn't really understand why weight would be a marker at all... I never stop reading though, always something to learn... Improve on... Unfortunately it also leads you to info that can be wrong or unconfirmed too. Not to fault the sites information but I personally will be passing on those recommendations, who knows maybe me posting about will help someone else if they come across the site when researching too... Hopefully!

A funny but interesting thing about little Sunny, he doesn't like cilantro/coriander! He recognises it just by looking and then looks at me as if to say, you are joking aren't you! Lollll Chilly always loved it and Ruby too, they use to eat up the stalks like spaghetti but now leave all the stalks behind! So theyre tastes in veggies can change with time... My oh my are they living the lap of luxury! :D

I hope so. I always go by the second rule, that I just made up. I don't listen to anything unless I've heard it twice, then I think about it to see if it actually makes sense.

That's so funny! My piggies absolutely love cilantro, but I had to stop feeding it to them because it makes me gag. But they're so spoiled, they will only eat veggies they absolutely love and are used to. I have red bell peppers scattered all over their cage now because both of them would only eat the romaine I gave them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.