Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Hopes to add another piggie seem to be dashed by our "friendly" girl

rottiemominde

Cavy Slave
So we went to our rescue yesterday that graciously offered to treat our piggie's mites that were discovered on Saturday at their Spring Fling when they got their nails clipped. While there for a little while, we tried to bond them with just about every other female piggie they had because we wanted to add a 3rd (or even 4th) to our family. The non-dominant, shy, oober-friendly one, Cinnamon, puffed her fur, nipped, chattered and wiggled her butt like crazy! She even started fighting with dominant Sugar (our crazy explorer who'd prefer running around to lap time anyday). I guess she's just not ready to share her best friend Sugar or my daughter with anyone....yet....which leads to my question...
Has anyone had a similar situation? If I build a cage beside theirs, is there a chance that she'll come around? I'm guessing it would be better to build the cage beside theirs and not above/below it. (I have the room to do either.) Also, if things don't work out, how do you manage floor time? Split the room, just have separate "sessions". I'm really trying to figure out a way to make this work. Thanks for reading lol
PS - Sugar was fine with all the new piggies we tried to introduce.

oh, my word!! the piggies dramas i've been through since October!! i started with one, and now have 4 - how does this happen?! i got a friend for the first when i realized pigs needed friends to live with. then i felt bad about buying them (i know - my bad!) and felt compelled to adopt a third. the three didn't get along, and so now i had two who were ok, and a third by himself, and TWO cages. then i felt i needed to get a FOURTH for the one by himself. the initial meeting went well, but then those two started fighting. and now i'm playing musical pigs trying to find which combination of pigs will get along and stop driving me crazy!! so, today i put three of them together, with the problem child alone again, and i was TOTALLY surprised by the reactions. i thought i knew these pigs personalities, but when i introduced someone new - it was like they were possessed!! behaviors i didn't see coming started. nothing horrible, but again, nerve racking. hopefully they'll figure it our and settle down soon. there's no way to really predict these guys, and they're just always full of surprise!! bitter-sweet, and sometimes fun but never boring..❤️

im having the same issue at the moment*, my piggy was widowed a few weeks ago so i adopted a pair of babies to be her new buddies but, despite the babies already being bonded, one of them has gone of to be pals with my older piggy, although they arent the best of friends the three of them seem to be getting on fine(violence free). i introduced them by splitting the original cage in two with a rectangle grid, they were squeaking and chewing the bars to each other within a couple of days!:) i then let them have floor time together and they sorted out the leader for theyre follow the leader session then snuggled up quite happy, hope its this simple for you! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.