Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Homemade Toys and hideys

petluv

Cavy Slave
For all you crafty ladies and gents out there: Can you please post some pictures and ideas for homemade toys and hide outs and things? Looking forward to reading replies!

Oh and is cardboard safe for piggies? I’ve seen both yes and no. Y’all seem extra knowledgeable about these things so that’s why I’m bringing it up. Maybe the better question is what is NOT safe materials for making toys and hideys?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are Photo Galleries here on the site with thousands of pictures of everything you could possible wonder about having for a guinea pig: (broken link removed).

Cardboard is maybe ok, but you have to be sure it hasn't been stored anywhere that it may have been sprayed or soaked with a pesticide or other chemical. Avoid any parts that have been glued together if the pigs are apt to eat it.

petluv

Cavy Slave
There are Photo Galleries here on the site with thousands of pictures of everything you could possible wonder about having for a guinea pig: (broken link removed).

Cardboard is maybe ok, but you have to be sure it hasn't been stored anywhere that it may have been sprayed or soaked with a pesticide or other chemical. Avoid any parts that have been glued together if the pigs are apt to eat it.

Great thanks!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
You can braid hay and corn husks! Just with the corn husks, they can't have them too often, and make sure you use the inner husks to avoid pesticides.

bpatters already said what to watch out for with cardboard... it's ok as long as the piggies don't eat more than a few nibbles. But some guinea pigs will eat way too much if you let them, and that's dangerous.

I haven't myself, but a lot of people make fleece forests, hides and beds--- some are even no-sew. And you can get big fleece blankets very cheaply at Walmart and fabric stores. Make sure you check out the Hot Tips section here on guinea pig cages; there's tons of money saving/toy/hidey tips there :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no limit on corn husks that I know of. They're a good substitute for hay if you run out of hay.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The latest toy I made is a snuffle mat. The top is fleece with fleece flaps sewn on it. I have a layer of microfiber towel and batting in the middle, and woven fabric on the bottom. The top is fluffy and you can hide treats and veggies in the flaps so your guinea pig can forage like a treasure hunt. Attached is a .jpg picture with instructions and a photo of the final product.
Snuffle Mat Instructions.jpgSnuffle Mat.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
There's no limit on corn husks that I know of. They're a good substitute for hay if you run out of hay.

Oh, awesome! My two absolutely love corn husks, but I had read somewhere that they shouldn't have them too often. Maybe I misunderstood... either way I'm glad it's not true!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.