Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Homemade Carefresh question.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
I've seen a bunch of instructions on how to make carefresh, and everyone seems to use regular printer paper, but I was wondering how safe it would be to use construction paper. I have a huge stack of paper just sitting here and this would be a great way to use it, and it would look nice with the color, but I'm afraid it might not be safe. What do you think? :)

I think it should be fine, I've made it before with paper with ink on it and it worked fine. I don't think there's anything dangerous in it that would harm your pigs, I would try it! Hope I helped :)

even when i put newspaper underneath them for a minute they start chewing on it i am not sure if the dye would effect them

I tried the homemade carefresh experiment once and I personally thought it was just too much time and trouble. But you might make a small batch just to see what you think. I don't know anything about whether construction paper would work or not or be safe.

Oh! I had forgotten I posted this! I did try to make it with regular paper, and it actually didn't seem like that much work! I just didn't like the feel of it when it was finished and dried out. I'm just going to continue to buy carefresh. But thank you! :)

very good and it will smell better too. what about fleece

very good and it will smell better too. what about fleece

I might eventually switch to fleece, but I really like carefresh. :)

Can homemade bedding be made with regular newsprint? We have an unending supply of newspaper - can I use it?

I just called our newspaper printer and he says that hes not a chemist but could tell me that their ink does have soy in it....do you think that my paper would be able to be used for my pigs?

I just called our newspaper printer and he says that hes not a chemist but could tell me that their ink does have soy in it....do you think that my paper would be able to be used for my pigs?

Yes, you can use it. The process of making homemade carefresh requires soaking the shredded paper and squeeze water out. By the time you're done, most of the ink should be gone anyways.

Have you read how to make them?
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/65134/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.