Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Home-made treats

mommykingx3

Cavy Slave
Are there any recipes for making treats for your piggies at home?

When it's warm I throw some cilantro, bell pepper, maybe some blueberries into a food processor and then freeze them for icey treats. I don't completely puree the fruit, and I let it thaw to shaved ice consistency before giving it to them.

Awesome idea!! Man you could put just about anything in those, whatever your piggies prefer!! Hmmmm, my wheels are already turning! Thanks so much!

Maybe you could take a piece of lettuce and put some sliced cherry tomatoes and carrots (or whatever else your guinea pig likes) and wrap it up like a tiny veggie taco.

I hate to be a downer, but I would be worried about my guinea pigs choking on the icey pieces or getting some sort of throat/digestive tract injury from eating the sharp pieces. Are you sure it's safe to make those?

The rule I always follow for treats is to give their favorite fruits and veggies. Nearly all pet store treats are made of junk and will only fatten your guinea pig. My guinea pigs love carrots, apple, and strawberries, so they get those as treats.

That is an awesome idea!! I totally am going to do that. So to recap every one I have learned of three new treats, veggie wraps, frozen treats, and I found a recipe for homemade cookies. and here is the recipe...

1/2 banana, mashed
1 small carrot, pureed
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup guinea pig pellets, finely ground
1/4 cup rolled oats, finely ground
(A soda-bottle cap may be used as a biscuit cutter.)
now this is the instructions to cooking the cookies according to the website they were found on
"Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powder and ground oats. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapes onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much). Turn off the heat and let the cookies sit in the warm oven for an hour or so."

This recipe will produce a batch of cookies, so a good suggestion would be to find a nice box, and place all the cookies in it, so that you can save the cookies that the guinea pig does not eat that exact same day. Also do not worry about them going bad, as dry food tends to last for a little while. Of course don't hide them in the cabinet for the next year and realize that you have a bunch of guinea pig cookies in the back left since last January -_-

Now here is the next guinea pig cookie recipe that I found.
1 cup flour
2 cups Oxbow or Kleenmama's guinea pig pellets, or other small guinea pig food
2/3 cup water
6 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
For this one. Just mix every thing together, and bake in the oven at Bake at 350ºF (176.667 degree Celsius) for about 20 minutes, until they are ready.

I always thought you would serve it kinda as mush. Like a snow cone.

Where did you find these recipes? Are you sure each and every one of those ingredients is safe for guinea pigs? 100%?

I use the piggie burrito idea whenever I want my girls to try a new food, to trick them into eating it. I use watermelon as a treat, they ADORE watermelon. They only get it once a month though, super high in sugar and water. I don't think those recipes would work, honey and flour are really not good for them. I don't know if they'd be okay as an occasional treat though.

1/2 banana, mashed
1 small carrot, pureed
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup guinea pig pellets, finely ground
1/4 cup rolled oats, finely ground
(A soda-bottle cap may be used as a biscuit cutter.)

Now here is the next guinea pig cookie recipe that I found.
1 cup flour
2 cups Oxbow or Kleenmama's guinea pig pellets, or other small guinea pig food
2/3 cup water
6 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons honey

Honey, oats and flour aren't recommended for pigs but there are probably some healthy substitutions that can be used.

Honey, oats and flour aren't recommended for pigs but there are probably some healthy substitutions that can be used.
I read oats were actually fine as treats. Flour and honey are not however.

Make it easy on yourself and give them some chopped up fruit as a treat. No blending, mixing, cutting, baking required. I would be careful of the flour, honey and oats as well. Why go through all that trouble if you're not sure the pigs will eat it? Fruit's the way to go and you know they'll eat it!

I hate to be a downer, but I would be worried about my guinea pigs choking on the icey pieces or getting some sort of throat/digestive tract injury from eating the sharp pieces. Are you sure it's safe to make those?

The rule I always follow for treats is to give their favorite fruits and veggies. Nearly all pet store treats are made of junk and will only fatten your guinea pig. My guinea pigs love carrots, apple, and strawberries, so they get those as treats.

I don't think something with the consistency of shaved ice has any sharp edges. :p Have you eaten shaved ice before?

It's also thawed to a point where it probably melts pretty quickly in their mouths.

I'm usually super paranoid about everything, but I don't think there's anything harmful about it. Some people give their pigs completely frozen ice cubes. I worry about chipped teeth,though. I'm not sure if that can happen easily.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! That's why I posted the recipes, because I wasn't sure if they were safe. But, I have another question?!

Fruit isn't suppose to be given everyday?!

Nope, fruit is high is sugar and should only be fed once a week.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! That's why I posted the recipes, because I wasn't sure if they were safe. But, I have another question?!

Fruit isn't suppose to be given everyday?!

That's why fruit makes such a great treat! They love it but they don't get it all the time and when they DO get it they go nuts! They will be putty in your hands!

What about veggies? How much should they be getting? The pet store was giving some in the morning and evening so I have been sticking to that schedule but how much each time? a cup or half a cup or more?
What's funny is on saterday when I slept in itwasn't my childreb who woke me up but the piggies wheeking for their breakfast. It cracked me up. I gave them a small piece of watermelon as a piece offering. They are halarious. Any way, what size portion of veggies do I serve?

Pigs should get a cup of veggies each. I just give my girls a few leaves a day, I don't really measure.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

^This is a GREAT chart listing all fruits and veggies pigs can eat. I printed it out and carry it with me when I grocery shop. They should get 1 cup of veggies per pig everyday-1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 at night. I don't measure, I just eyeball it. Stick with green or red leaf lettuce, cliantro and green pepper as a staple and add in other things on the list occasionally. I usually do my shopping, come home and wash everything, chop it and portion it into little baggies in the fridge because I have a busy schedule and this makes it easy for me to just grab and feed. It also makes it easy for my son and husband to feed them if I'm not home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.