Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Home made toy ideas?

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to come up with some ideas for home made toys for my boys. They both love their fleece forest and their new fleece hay pocket feeders I made a few days ago, but I'd like to have a bunch of different things that I could swap out or use for floor time.

I'm not sure what type of play Galactus likes yet because he's still very shy, but Cosmo loves to knock things over. Remodeling is his favorite activity. He used to have a tunnel house made out of cardboard which he would nudge all over his cage. Eventually he started tipping it sideways, flipping it over, even tossing it all the way on top of his willow tunnel somehow. I decided to remove it for now because it's so large and he would put it in really impractical places, blocking off food, water, etc. However, I still want to give him something that he can interact with.

My supplies are lots of good quality cardboard, about 30"x20" of coroplast, a never ending pile of newspapers, and about a yard's worth of assorted fleece remnants.

What have you made that your pigs love?

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Something I made that one of my piggies Poppy loves is I took a small cardboard box and put need paper on the bottom and filled it with strips of fleece scraps. She would jump in it popcorn. jump in and jump out over and over again. Maybe you're pigs might enjoy it too?? My other pig didn't enjoy it much. But that's my suggestion :)

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Something I made that one of my piggies Poppy loves is I took a small cardboard box and put need paper on the bottom and filled it with strips of fleece scraps. She would jump in it popcorn. jump in and jump out over and over again. Maybe you're pigs might enjoy it too?? My other pig didn't enjoy it much. But that's my suggestion :)

That's funny! It kind of reminds me of those foam pools that they have at gymnastics studios, kind of like (broken link removed). How high were the walls of the box?

taffy123

Cavy Slave
That's funny! It kind of reminds me of those foam pools that they have at gymnastics studios, kind of like (broken link removed). How high were the walls of the box?
That's totally how she treated it too!! Haha and the walls of the box are about 3-4 inches high. She can jump in no problem.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Do you have an extra sock? I know it's not listed in your supplies but ita worth a shot! If so you can stuff it with hay and provide your pigs with a funner way to eat their hay! My girls love it and it's the first thing they stick their nose in after I finish cleaning their cage. If the sock has holes in it that's ok even better because the guineas have more holes to get the hay out of.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Do you have an extra sock? I know it's not listed in your supplies but ita worth a shot! If so you can stuff it with hay and provide your pigs with a funner way to eat their hay! My girls love it and it's the first thing they stick their nose in after I finish cleaning their cage. If the sock has holes in it that's ok even better because the guineas have more holes to get the hay out of.

I do have extra socks. I've been putting frozen water bottles inside them on hot days for the boys to cuddle.
Their new hay feeders are already more interactive than before, but it wouldn't hurt to have even more ways to eat hay!

Cosmo crawled all the way inside his hanging fleece hay feeder today. It makes me think that he might like a hammock.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Well, you didn't have these supplies listed, but these are two of my girls' favorites.
1. Oatmeal container tunnel: If you get your oatmeal in those tunnel like cardboard tubes then you peel the wrapper off, take off the lid, and remove the cardboard on the bottom to make your own version of those cardboard tubes they sell at the petstore.
2. Grid tunnel: All you need for this is an extra C&C grid and a jumbo book cover (Walmart ones work well.) Using your feet to help, you bend the grid into an arch shape. Then you cover it with the book cover.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Well, you didn't have these supplies listed, but these are two of my girls' favorites.
1. Oatmeal container tunnel: If you get your oatmeal in those tunnel like cardboard tubes then you peel the wrapper off, take off the lid, and remove the cardboard on the bottom to make your own version of those cardboard tubes they sell at the petstore.

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT?! You're a genius. Seriously, you are a GENIUS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.