Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Holding vs. Not Holding Pregnant Guinea Pigs

nblackwell33

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to say that I made a terrible mistake and didn't fully realize why it was the wrong decision until after I'd already done it and found this forum and other guinea pig resources online.

I bought two female guinea pigs from a pet store. I know now that I should have adopted.

Right after I got them, I took them to our local exotics vet for a checkup. They had mites and lice for which the vet treated them with Ivermectin shots. To be fair, it wasn't clear to me or the vet whether they came home with lice and mites or whether they somehow got them from hay or bedding I bought at another store.

They're well now, but it turns out, they're both pregnant. The vet expects one to have two babies and the other to have four babies.

I've read the advice on this forum, on Cavy Lyxn, etc., and they've obviously seen a vet. I'm feeding them well and have since I've gotten them. They've got a 2x4 C&C cage with fleece that the vet said I should divide because they're both pregnant.

I'm still really worried because I know how risky it is for a guinea pig to have babies.

In the meantime, because this all happened so quickly and I read that I shouldn't stress them out more, I haven't been holding them.

I know when the babies come I need to hold them often to socialize them, but in the meantime, my mommies are becoming more and more untamed.

Should I try to hold them by picking them up in a cozy or is it OK to just wait for the babies to come and then work on getting them all used to being held?

I want to make sure the babies are acclimated to people because I'm committed to finding them good homes and NOT taking them back to the pet store.

Last edited:
You know, I really in my opinion would not pick up the pregnant pig unless I had a good reason. The pig won't be in need of floor time/lap time, so unless you feel something is wrong with her or the babies, I wouldn't pick her up. You would have to be EXTREMELY careful, and because you can typically avoid all unnecessary stress during pregnancy, there would be no reason to pick her up. Unless, you have to clean the cage or something.

I wouldn't pick her up at all, but if you do have to, do it in a shoe box and not a cuddle cup. If you do it in a cuddle cup, it won't have much form and it will present a risk of possibly harming mommy and babies. Do it in a shoe box using the elevator method if you can.

Good luck! You are gonna be a piggy mom and grandma!

:D

Thanks for the advice. I'll continue to move them only when I'm changing their fleece.

No problem.

I won't recommend separating them unless they are fighting.

You can always still bond with them even though you can't hold them. One of the fastest ways I have found to get to a guinea pigs heart is by hand feeding them. Cut up their daily veggies into bit sides bits and just hold the veggies out for them to take.

I had one pig recently that was very skittish. He didn't want anything to do with me and if I was within 5 feet of the cage he would run and hide. I started hand feeding the piggies their veggies and he has started to trust me more and more. It has been about 6 weeks since I started this and he will let me pet him in his cage without running away and sometimes he will even let me pick him up without running. Talk calmly to the piggies while you are doing it and say nice things to them. They will not understand the words but the feelings of the words will translate to them. =)

I won't recommend separating them unless they are fighting.
They did seem to be having more little squabbles. I kept them in the C&C cage and just put some baby proof grids between them. They seem content to see each other and rub noses.

I have kept up the hand feeding and the soft talking that I started when we got them. I just think they're probably starting to get uncomfortable and generally kind of cranky, and who could blame them. I remember the last month of pregnancy very well, and I wasn't exactly pleasant either. Poor little things. I just hope things go well for them and their babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.