Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hidey house security

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
if a pig's in his hidey house all day long, and any time he actually is out and eating he runs back in there as soon as you enter the room... so if that's the place they're supposed to feel safe and secure, is it bad to take them out of the hidey house to take them out of the cage? will this destroy their sense of security? why doesn't he ever run around? he's so timid, all he does is sit inside his house all day... i'm trying to get him a friend, but they're aren't any boars for miles from me. i just wanna know about the hidey houses i guess... thanks!

-mulengro

AmeliaBedelia

Cavy Slave
How long have you had your guinea pig? I've had mine for 2 weeks and she still spends a lot of time in her pigloo....in fact that is her favorite time. She does come out to eat and will periodically run around her pigloo after pushing it to the middle. But she's still rather shy and runs straight into her house whenever I move around in the family room.My understanding from reading a lot of posts on this board is that they need a lot of time and patience and sometimes it's just their personality!

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
i've had him for about nine months now. i've recently moved in with my girlfriend, less than two weeks ago, but he's always been like this. and what about taking him out of his house to hold him for lap time? or should i wait and lure him out with treats and such? i just don't want to psychologically mess him up, y'know? thanks again!

-mulengro

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think that if you've had the piggy for 9 months he would be ok to take out from his house. Mine were that way for a month or two, and that's when we started to take them out of their houses. They don't even go in them anymore! They like to be out of them now, I think it was just a trust issue. Just a thought. Oh, and in one of your other forums you said you were getting another boar, so that should help him get out and about. Good luck with your piggie! =)

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
i'm planning on getting another boar, but nothing is lined up just yet. i did get him his new house though! as of right now it's a combination of his old rubbermaid container (it's big, just not nearly big enough) and a new addition of a child's wading pool, and soon it's going to have a huge c&c addition, as well. it's really going to be something! i'm sure he'll love it. but yes, i'm looking for another friend for him, think that would help with his shyness?

-mulengro

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it would help with the shyness. Think about it. How would you feel if you didn't see anyone who was your species? That'd be really odd. I think it's great that you're building a new CC cage! Good luck on building it and good luck with the pig-searching! =)

Mulengro

Cavy Slave
thanks! i just feel so bad for him though, he just sits in his house and there's no soiled litter anywhere except in his hideaway... he just sits there in his own poo all day until i move his house someplace new, then he sits there and poos. poor guy...

-mulengro

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yep, sounds like chut alright.... It took me FOREVER to even get him to come out to the other side of the cage while I was there. Good luck again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.