Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
But I have a question....Macho keeps picking on my new males...I mean, he doesn't hurt them that bad, they only bleed a little. What do I do?

Only house together the piggies who get along with each other. It sounds like you have the room to do so easily, and have each piggie still have one or more buddies.

Also, Lilac is preggers but I dunno from who...is there anyway to find out?
Could be any of the pigs who had access to her, but I would think you would know that. The question is, why in the world would any of them have had access to her? I would hope that you would already understand that you should not be putting unneutered male and female guinea pigs together, for any reason, at any time? You mentioned that they all go out for playtime for hours together - are you saying that you turn all of the girls out together, alternated with all of the boys together, or are you saying you put 13 out together? If so I would be astounded if all 8 females aren't pregnant. I hope you will clarify.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I am not convinced that your reasons for being here are not at least partially based in a hope to stir up trouble.

That aside, the best thing for you to do would be to read all the info on this site, on GuineaLynx (www.guinealynx.info), and on CavySpirit (www.cavyspirit.com).

If you're really breeding your guinea pigs, and to the extent that you aren't certain whether or not one has been impregnated by her own brother, you absolutely should stop. This site (in case you haven't figured it out already) is very pro-rescue and anti-breeding. There is no good reason to be creating more lives while there are so many in shelters that aren't wanted. Beyond that, breeding is extremely taxing on the female's body and comes with significant risk to her life.

You say there are no rescues in your area, and while I realize that may be the case, that is still not reason enough for you to be breeding.

Sunscreen on hairless pigs seems to me to be a pointless question, because they shouldn't be in the sun to need it. Pigs should be housed indoors, hairless or otherwise.

Exactly what size are your hutches?

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
GP_LUVER: Even though there may not be a guinea pig rescue in your area, there are still probably guinea pigs up for adoption at some point or another.

There are no guinea pig rescues in my area. But, I checked my local humane society animal control center, and there was one guinea pig left from a pair that had been turned in. You can also check your local classifieds, and craigslist. Just make sure that they aren't a breeder first.
You can also check on Petfinder, here: www.petfinder.com

Where exactly do you live? I'll look it up for you on petfinder, or you can do it yourself.

meandmypigs

Cavy Slave
I see that you're in 4-H? How old are you?

Avoiding questions? You came on here in a huge defense, but never answered the question. Others have answered your now answer ours! IMHO ur a immature person that has no regaurd for thier pets. Why do you have so many if you only take one at a time? Please read ALL of the links and gain some knowledge before you get my blood pressure up.

meandmypigs

Cavy Slave
Avoiding questions? You came on here in a huge defense, but never answered the question. Others have answered your now answer ours! IMHO ur a immature person that has no regaurd for thier pets. Why do you have so many if you only take one at a time? Please read ALL of the links and gain some knowledge before you get my blood pressure up.

please let me clarify.. THIS WAS TO GP_LUVER NOT DOBEY. I am so sorry if I was unclear!!

Dobelady

Cavy Slave
please let me clarify.. THIS WAS TO GP_LUVER NOT DOBEY. I am so sorry if I was unclear!!

To clarify...I asked a question I shouldn't have, and am sorry for that. My questions were to try to make the OP feel less attacked, in hopes that if her story was true she would take the time to read the site and learn.

There is nothing more daunting than to think your being attacked for bad choices you didn't know you were making. Many times people make them out of ignorance. I know I did, but I've been trying to educate myself and learn here, that was my hopes for the OP. Not for her to run off scared, because she was jumped on.

How things are said can scare people off, then they learn nothing. I don't know maybe it's my southerness, that makes me want to be polite.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Around here, you all might want to be careful about asking members their ages as some members (those under the age of 18) are not allowed to answer the question. If you ask and a minor answers with their age, both will most likely get an impaction.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.