Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi To All

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I am so happy to find a piggy forum. I have learned so much in the last 3 weeks about care and feeding through the internet.

Let me tell you a little bit about my love for animals/critters. From the time I was a young girl I always brought needy animals home. Lost dogs, scared kittens, lost or injured wild animals...birds, rabbits, you name it. Thankfully my parents knew how to curb this. Buy the girl some dogs and rabbits! I was in heaven. Since growing up I've had fish, birds, cats, dogs, pot bellied pig. Through animals not living as long as me I'm down to a 14 year old dog and a 14 year old cat. 3 weeks ago my husband left on a business trip...he came home to two new animals. Yep, Cinnamon and "no name". Husband was not happy. : } Anyway no name got taken back to the pet store 2 weeks later. Not at all getting along with her room mate. She was quite a bit bigger than Cinnamon and way to aggressive. I came home with Nutmeg. Younger than Cinn and they get along great! They are now wheeking when I'm handling the food bags.

PS Husband is getting accustomed to new critters. Still calls them rats! LOL

My first food question will be about fresh v dried.

Thanks Everyone and Glad to be Here!!

Hello and welcome. This site is a great resource for care of piggies Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit and https://www.guinealynx.info/ . I see you bought your piggies from a pet store, just a word of caution that pet stores often miss-sex guinea pigs, so I encourage you to do it yourself Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig and make triple sure ❤️.

The site has great info on diet and cage size etc.. Feel free to ask any question, someone has the answer. Again welcome and please post pigtures, we ooh and ahh over them!

Last edited:
Thank you so much Kananaka. Sexing was one of the first things I did when learning about Guinea Pigs. I know Cinn is a girl. Meg is younger but I can see the Y forming. I check them everyday. Teeth, bum, nails, eyes etc.

Hello and Welcome! We do have a great piggie community here along with the best info on the web for the care of your two new girls.
Fresh v dried. Fresh always. You will find a great food chart in the Diet/Nutrition section.
How old are your girls? If under 6 mths old your girls will need an anfalfa based plain pellet. No seeds, or colored stuff in them. They can choke on them Oxbow is an excellant pellet you can buy online or some stores do sell it. If under 6 mths. Cavy Perforamance over 6 mths Cavy Cusine. 1/4 cup daily per pig.

They will need a cup of veggies every day. Good daily veggies are all letteces but iceberg, green pepper, cilantro. Kale, parsley, mustard greens are higher in calcium and can be given several times a week.
And Unlimited grass hay. Timothy is a good grass hay.

Keep us posted on your new ones. Check out all the great threads on care. Ask any questions you need. We are here for you and your piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.