Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Hi! So, sorry about this!!! I NEED HELP!

Esownow

Cavy Slave
So I've finally got the go-ahead for a cavvie, the cage is set up and all I have to do is go and collect him but I've just started FREAKING OUT.

The only animal I've had is a few hamsters and that was under the supervision of my parents, I'm at uni so I get lonely but surely getting a guinea pig would make me jump for joy? But instead I'm literally crying my eyes out because I travel a lot to see my boyfriend or go home and I'd feel so guilty leaving him at home even though I've got other housemates.

Please someone tell me what to do! Should I tell the pet shop I can't take him or will I feel better when I have him? It feels like I'm getting a baby! WAAAAAHHHH!!!

If you have to go back and forth, I don't think I'd get one. I'm not sure if you'll move back home during the summer, but that would be another stressful situation for the guinea pig. Personally, I'd wait until you're out of school and in a permanent residence where your guinea pig will have consistency. Unless you really trust your housemates, there could be a lapse in the care of your pet while you're away.

So I've finally got the go-ahead for a cavvie, the cage is set up and all I have to do is go and collect him but I've just started FREAKING OUT.

The only animal I've had is a few hamsters and that was under the supervision of my parents, I'm at uni so I get lonely but surely getting a guinea pig would make me jump for joy? But instead I'm literally crying my eyes out because I travel a lot to see my boyfriend or go home and I'd feel so guilty leaving him at home even though I've got other housemates.

Please someone tell me what to do! Should I tell the pet shop I can't take him or will I feel better when I have him? It feels like I'm getting a baby! WAAAAAHHHH!!!

Hello!
I got my piggies for the same reason as you, because I was lonely at college and my boyfriend was three and a half hours away.. His solution to that problem was to buy me a pair of piggies and my life has never been the same :) They go on the drive with me once a month and do fine. Sometimes, I leave them alone over night, and they are fine. If it's going to be more than a day, I have my roommate come in and give them water and hay. I leave veggies in pre-labeled bags for each day so she can easily feed them their veggies. I have left them for two days before and they were fine then, too!
Getting a guinea pig was the best thing I could ever do at school. They keep me company during long nights of studying. There isn't a better break from hitting the books than snuggling a piggie or watching them popcorn around the cage.
I promise you, if your situation is similar to mine, that getting a piggie is the best idea you have! And if the car ride isn't too long, piggies travel very well.
Just make sure that you do not get one guinea pig, but two! They MUST have a friend, especially if you will be leaving them over night.
Keep us updated!

I must agree; if you are questioning whether or not to get one, you may not be ready for the possible 8 years of commited care guinea pigs require.

Unfortunately I'm a person that will literally panic entirely, and I've only prepared for one pig, I think getting two guinea pigs would make me panic more! I've made a C&C cage thats 3x2 grids with two layers so I can't change the cage and I travel by train, not by car :/
Funny thing is that I've been looking forward to this for a year! I've read up on them, designed diet plans and budgeted but god knows I'll end up running out of money or something, plus I haven't told my parents yet and since I'll be staying with them during summer they'll probably be fairly annoyed with me.
I think the thing that's freaking me out is the size of the cage, it just looks so big now that I never anticipated the size. It's either that or the thought of being relied on for the next fiveish years.
I'd hate to get all prepared and try have them settle in only to find that I'd have to give them up for adoption.
Do you think I've made a mistake?

Unfortunately I'm a person that will literally panic entirely, and I've only prepared for one pig, I think getting two guinea pigs would make me panic more! I've made a C&C cage thats 3x2 grids with two layers so I can't change the cage and I travel by train, not by car :/
Funny thing is that I've been looking forward to this for a year! I've read up on them, designed diet plans and budgeted but god knows I'll end up running out of money or something, plus I haven't told my parents yet and since I'll be staying with them during summer they'll probably be fairly annoyed with me.
I think the thing that's freaking me out is the size of the cage, it just looks so big now that I never anticipated the size. It's either that or the thought of being relied on for the next fiveish years.
I'd hate to get all prepared and try have them settle in only to find that I'd have to give them up for adoption.
Do you think I've made a mistake?

Have you considered fostering piggies, then? That way, you can have the joy of piglets without the commitment, and you get to provide them a better quality of life until their forever home comes along. Look to see if you have rescues in your area, and I'm sure you could inquire about a foster program.
I think it's very mature of you to recognize your weaknesses before you get yourself in over your head.
Everything is going to be fine :)

It doesn't sound like you are as ready as you thought you were for piggies. They require a companion, and if you can only make space for one that's a problem in its own.

Honestly, I don't recommend you get a piggy right now. You shouldn't have to be so stressed out in this situation. Once you have more stability in your living situation maybe look into it again. :)

Okay, so the majority vote is that I say I can't take him?
When the time comes I'll still have all the C&C stuff, I think you're right about the living situation. The things that's stressing me out is travelling and where to put him if I bring him with me.
Sorry about this, I was really excited when I held him the other day and it wasn't until I'd paid for him that the panic came :/
Does everyone feel that I should leave it for now?

First of all, if you are taking in any pigs, you should take two. They should have a friend of their own kind.

Second of all, you should not buy them from pet shop. There are many homeless guinea pigs being put to sleep each day. If you are to get one, ADOPT from a rescue or shelter.

Third, if you are asking people on the forums on your readiness, maybe you are not ready at all. Shouldn't you know yourself more than we do?

The questions you should ask yourself:
1) Will you have time to take care of your new pigs?
2) How often will the be left with your housemates?
3) Will you have enough money to take them to the vet? Emergencies can easily run you up to $1000.

1) I do creative writing so I've got LOADS of time (hence why I get lonely)
2) probably once or twice a month
3) I was putting aside a tenner a week just in case of emergencies

I just panic when something drastic happens, like I said I was fine the other day, oh dear oh dear :/

I think you should get him. I was like this when I got mine too. But once I got it I was fine!:)

I'm with Lissie. You don't really sound ready for a guinea pig. If you want a pet, particularly one that will snuggle with and be happy to sleep in your lap, then get a cat or a dog. Guinea pigs are very cute, and I love mine to death, but they're only interested in me for food delivery.

Donate the cage to a rescue somewhere -- they'll no doubt be very happy to have it.

Ultimately the decision will be yours. Obviously you posted here asking for help and you are accepting the answers you are getting with grace. :) I commend you for that.

Will you be able to bear the burden of guilt when you leave them in the care of your housemates?

Maybe, pack up and keep your cage and wait until you are able to devote your time to them with limited interruptions?

I am NOT attacking you but you mention you are so scared and unsure what to do, maybe your 'gut' is telling you what do do?

Whatever decision you make you will get the support you need here, but please make your decision with the piggies first and foremost in your mind. :love:

Absolutely, I think I may leave it at least until I've moved into my new house, at least then I'll be ready and (hopefully) won't have to keep leaving for weekends to see the boy and the folks. Thanks guys, I think I'm going to say I can't take him, I'd love to though, he looks like a little cow :)
At least when the time comes I've got everything I need, I just need some stability and to get into a routine.

I think fostering is the perfect idea. That way, if it doesn't work out, you can return them to the rescue or shelter. If you buy/adopt a piggie, it's for life, no going back. I think you are panicing for a reason, and that reason is that you know it is not the right time.

This is a thought, and I'm only suggesting it because it was true for me, but when my piggies came into my life, the dependency of seeing my boyfriend every weekend vanished. It was no longer important to spend so much money to see him every single weekend, and I can't explain how much our relationship has benefitted from it. We have been together for almost two years, and the fact that I had guinea pigs to keep me company and to keep me from returning home all the time really solidified our relationship.
I agree that your gut is telling you now is not the right time.. However, should you decide that you do want a pig (actually, you should want two piggies), I promise that it will help close the void of emptiness you feel because you are away from your man.
On an unpiggy-related note, I promise the long distance thing gets easier. The more time you're apart, the more you learn to function without one another. I love Zane with all my heart but wouldn't change the situation we have been in for the past two years for anything in the world.

ALRIGHT, I'm done giving relationship advice! Sorry for my ADD-ness!

How about something smaller for now. Rats make great pets. I had the smartest, cleanest female rat just before I got married. She loved to ride on my shoulder in the car and they aren't as shy as some guinea pigs. They don't live as long as guinea pigs so you won't have such a long commitment. They are easier to pack with you, so might be able to take it along instead of leaving it. You still would be able to have something to care for and talk to. Just a suggestion. You can always take apart the cage and use it as shelves for now and store the coroplast. That is the nice thing about C & C cages, they are ever changing.

Almost forgot. Check out the thread on this forum on pet rats.

Thanks for the advice everyone, when I'm ready I'll keep you all up to date with the guinea pigs I get in the future :)

Please keep posting tho!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.