Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, new to site and have a question about male piggies

Peggy

Cavy Slave
I have two males (Hammy and Darwin) one year old, they have been together for the whole time and supposedly got along well. I just recently purchased them from someone on Craigslist for my kids and myself. They came in a large petstore cage which seemed small to me so we made them a 2x5 C&C cage. Prior to putting them in this cage we let them roam on the floor one day and introcuced them to a 5 week old baby (Cubby) they did all the mounting and strutting and seemed fine they were both getting a little excited and mounting Cubby quite a bit and then finally they all just roamed so I figured they would be fine so I put the two back in their pet store cage and they then started to chatter and I figured they would be fine well then they went after each other and I had to seperate them. They were in a ball of frenzie I could barely get one off the other. So since then they have been in their bigger cage with a partition. So my question is if they see each other like this everyday can I take out the center grid and will they be fine do you think or will they have to be seperated forever? Cubby by the way is in the big store cage now because I am afraid they will hurt him. What should I do? I really would like for all three of them to be in one cage so they have more room and can play.

Peggy:(

They should eventually be fine. When you introduced them to Cubby, you upset their dominance ranking so their "going after each other" was them re-establishing dominance.

Since you already exposed them to Cubby, this is irrelevent but when you bring new pigs into a house, remember to quarantine for 21 days in a separate room behind closed doors prior to introduction.

When you do decide to reintroduce them, you will need to clean the whole cage before having them live together(don't just remove the divider). Also, reintroduce in a neutral setting. You didn't say if they drew blood when they were having their turf war? If there is no blood drawn you don't need to separate them, they will work it out. I know it's hard to watch. Good luck!

Oh, I didnt see the part where you put them back into the petstore cage after doing intros in an open area. Of course they fought. Not only did they need to re-establish dominance but they need their space which a petstore cage does not afford them.

Do the intros again in a large neutral area. Leave them there for several hours, if possible. Clean the big cage completely, including hideys, etc. Take any wooden hideys out, or others that you can't get the smell of the previous occupant out of. Give them a buddy bath if necessary, and put them all in the large cage. Keep the small cage for an infirmary or travel cage, but as you've learned, don't put the pigs back in it after you've had the three of them together.

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down.

When you do decide to reintroduce them, you will need to clean the whole cage before having them live together(don't just remove the divider). Also, reintroduce in a neutral setting. You didn't say if they drew blood when they were having their turf war? If there is no blood drawn you don't need to separate them, they will work it out. I know it's hard to watch. Good luck!

Hi,
no there was no blood drawn, I was so worried that they were hurting each other that when I finally looked them over they did look fine it is so hard to watch though you are so right.
Thank you I will try it again and I will make sure I clean everything and change everything in their cage :)

Thank you all very much I apreciate all your advice and I hope they get a long better this time, or establish their ranking order with each other so they can all be together :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.