Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! New owner and member

Mum2Levi

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I just got my first pair of guinea pigs two weeks ago. My 3-year old & I are loving them! We've named them Ravi and Percy (after his favorite Thomas the Train). I'll try to attach pics of them and their cage.

My 3-year old can be a bit loud so I haven't gotten them out on the floor too much yet. I don't have my son tonight, so I have them on the floor tonight - they seem to be happier when it's quiet. I sat next to the gated off area for about 10 minutes - they were popping :) Then I got up and moved a chair and they've been hiding ever since :( (about 30 minutes). I think I'll get up again and hold one or both of them - they do seem to do better when I'm holding them - they calm down.

Thanks to the posts here I sewed three cage liners. Not very good at sewing but I know enough to get by.

My pigs don't eat cardboard ... is that weird? I put some hay in a toilet paper roll tonight and they dug the hay out but didn't touch the cardboard. I'm curious about toys for them and more things to chew ... will dig around the forum more. But if anyone has ideas let me know.

Thanks!
IMG 20121130 200413 IMG 20121130 160534 IMG 20121130 160255
Percy is the darker one, eating celery
Ravi is a bit older - has white on him.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! It looks like you did some good research before getting your pigs, and your cage looks amazing! Your pigs are cute, especially the little tiny one. :D

As for the cardboard, I'd say that's not really a big concern. Sometimes, chewing on cardboard with inks and dyes can even be bad for piggies. If you search around on the forum, there's lots of posts on safe things for pigs to chew.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Most guinea pigs aren't actually big chewers like some other small animals. As long as they have all they can eat of a long strand hay like timothy or orchard grass, they'll keep their teeth worn down that way. My girls never chew cardboard either (I stuff tubes with hay and use cardboard boxes as hideys), although they've trimmed some of their plastic tunnels. Your piggies are very cute!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your piggies are soo cute and I love your cage!
As [MENTION=24942]T1ggerPigLuvur[/MENTION] said cardboard with inks and dyes can be bad for the piggies. Not to mention the glue used in some toilet paper rolls.
You'll find a lot of great information on this site! :)

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
We have a Percy pig as well!!

IMAG0004

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
The cuteness is overwhelming! Both Percy and Ravi are gorgeous! Oh, and welcome to the forums! :D

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
They are indeed....where have i heard the name Ravi before?

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
So cute! And awesome cage. I love how big it is. And don't

I also love the stone barrier idea! Does that help with the food/hay staying in one area? Or just exercise? Or nail trimming?

Mum2Levi

Cavy Slave
Hi all! Thanks for the warm welcome and info! Glad to know they'll really be ok as long as they have something like timothy hay, and they do.

Ravi ... I picked out his name after watching the movie Life of Pi. Pi's brothers name was Ravi. I thought it kinda went w/ the name Percy. Hello other Percy - cute boy!

I read somewhere that bricks help keep their nails down, so yeah, that's why I got them. But it does help keep hay in one spot, kinda like a kitchen? They sometimes run & jump over it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.