Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, im new

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody, i'm new and i have a few (more like allotlol) questions. i don't have a guinea pig yet but i want to know if this care guide is good for one piggie. At about 10:00 AM i would refill her hay rack, then id clean the water bowl and veggie bowl and food dish, refill them (id put 1/4 of a cup of pellets and 1 cup of veggies) and after that id do "poop patrol" and that would be it for the morning. At about 2:00 PM i would do floor time for about 1 hour, after floor time i would do lap time. At night id give her 1/4 of a cup of pellets (probably around 6:00 PM) and then id be finished for daily care. Weekly id trim her nails and clean out the cage(COMPLETELY). And id give her a yearly checkup at the vet. Also i was wondering how to give your guinea pig floor time before she's tamed because for the first few weeks id want to keep handling to a minimum... Right? Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this care guide. Thanks to all who answer!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Here's the 2 things I noticed about your care guide.

1st) Piggies only need a maximum of 1/4 cup of pellets per day. If you want to feed the maximum amount, then you should do 1/8 cup in the AM and 1/8 cup in the PM. It might end up depending on your piggie though. He/she may not eat that much.

2nd) Piggies are foragers, so splitting up meals is better for them. Instead of feeding the whole cup of veggies in the morning, I would split it into 2 seperate servings.

To address your question, handling doesn't need to be minimized for a few weeks, only a few days. If you set up a playpen (purchased/modified/makeshift) then your piggies can move around at will but still be safely contained to one area.

To address your question, handling doesn't need to be minimized for a few weeks, only a few days. If you set up a playpen (purchased/modified/makeshift) then your piggies can move around at will but still be safely contained to one area.

How would i get my guinea pig to the playpen the first day?

Welcome! :D I guess I will also add onto what Catahoula said, you don't need to trim nails every week unless they are really long and you are trying to get the quick to recede. Every month is what most people do. My one pig came to me more then a year ago, and her nails have never grow, so I guess it depends on the pig. Also pigs don't really need checkups at the vet, most people just go if they notice something wrong. It's good to look at the guinea lynx, and familiarize yourself with the signs of a sick pig, so you know when to take them to the vet. Also, two pigs is recommended, just like humans they get very lonely if they don't have a friend, even if you give them a lot of attention, they still won't have a buddy or their own kind to run around and play with.

How would i get my guinea pig to the playpen the first day?

For the first two/three days you will want to leave your pig alone and not pick them up, pet them, or anything, just leave him/her to get settled. After those days then you can start putting them in the playpen.

I think i will get two pigs and thanks for all the info, also whats your salad recipe?

Last edited:
I think i will get two pigs and thanks for all the info, also whats your salad recipe?

The base of my salad is a pre-packaged mix called Spring Mix. It has red and green leaf lettuce, radicchio, and some other baby lettuces (just make sure there's no spinach). I also add cilantro to the leafy greens.

Bell peppers are a great staple food in their diet. It provides a good source of vitamin C (more then oranges). Feeding a 1/4 green or yellow pepper a day is ideal. Orange and red bell peppers can be an occasional treat, because they are higher in sugar then the other two.

Next I add things in rotation like a baby carrot, grape tomatoes, corn husks/silks, and an occasion fruit treat like strawberry or mellon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.