Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, I'm new here.

JaGGerAndQuE

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm Kathryn and i have two lovely guinea pigs that i just bought from Petco, Two boys, Jagger and Que, Well i think Jagger's a boy. I haven't been able to really check, as he/she doesn't like to be held.At all.
I'm new to the whole guinea pig ownership jig, but I want to learn as much as possible.
For instance, i still don't know which is the better option, hay or bedding?

First of all, welcome!

You should check to make sure you have pigs of the same sex, otherwise you are risking a pregnant guinea pig and the ensuing serious health complications, and thats barely the tip of the iceburg.

"hay or bedding?": Both! Unlimited grass hay should be fed, and bedding should be use for, well, bedding! You could put some hay on top of your bedding if you choose, but hay tends to have quite an odor when pigs pee on it, so I keep my floors clean.

If you need help sexing your pigs, you could post up pictures of their "parts", and you can also reference the following link: https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Hello and welcome! Ditto absolutely everything SurfingPigs said.
You will also have to post some pictures of your piggies for us to see!

Okay i'll be right back and after taking some :)

EDIT: poSted the pictures :)

Last edited:
when I bought mine from Petco they had stickers that said the price and said male or female guinea pigs and the cost. if they were in the same cage and you know one is a boy then they both are because Petco keeps the ,ale and females separated in the stores.

when I bought mine from Petco they had stickers that said the price and said male or female guinea pigs and the cost. if they were in the same cage and you know one is a boy then they both are because Petco keeps the ,ale and females separated in the stores.

That's not always true. Petstores are notorious for sexing small animals incorrectly.

That's one reason I wanted to be sure, I may not have owned guinea pigs b4 but I have had otherets and I ended up with baby hamsters because I didn't check myself:(

Yes, check right away. Look at the link SurfingPigs provided. If you still have trouble post pictures of their privates here. With males you should be able to extrude the penis by gently pressing above the genitals.

I know how to check, That's not my problem; it's getting Jagger to hold still long enough for me to check.

Ohh ok. Can you get someone to help you? It might be easier with two people. Or hold him close to you when you check so he's not as freaked out, if you weren't already.

The thing is, I'm deathly afraid of hurting him, and my family is kind of frightened of them. They don't really like rodents and are afraid of being bitten. He won't even lets hold him with out tearing at my hands :( it doesn't hurt but, I don't want to give him a heart attack

I understand why you're scared, but if you following the directions on the link you won't hurt him. He may scream like he's being killed, but guinea pigs are like that. I would have a family member hold some veg like a carrot up to his (hopefully his!) mouth for him to eat while you check. This way he's distracted. I know you don't want to freak him out but the only alternative is to separate them until you are comfortable to check, but I personally feel that is way more stressful than checking his sex.

what if you put a treat up so the guinea pig has to stretch to reach it (put it up a little bit high) and then when his front paws are on the cage wall/bars check. That's what I would do. My piggies stretch for the treats and them with their paws on the bars. maybe try that?

Ok thanks for the advice, I'm just not used to animals being so vocal I guess...

what if you put a treat up so the guinea pig has to stretch to reach it (put it up a little bit high) and then when his front paws are on the cage wall/bars check. That's what I would do. My piggies stretch for the treats and them with their paws on the bars. maybe try that?

I don't think this would work very well. With petstore pigs they are usually younger and you need to try to extrude the penis to get a definite answer, or check and feel if there is a ridge. You can't do either of these by just looking.

Ok thanks for the advice, I'm just not used to animals being so vocal I guess...
I know. I am very sorry. My aunt was watching a pig that had a terribly bad mat of hair on his bum. It was so bad it was like a hard shell covering him bum. When I cut it off for him he screamed the entire time like I was killing him, but I wasn't hurting him at all. He just wasn't used to people so he was freaking out.
It's kind of important for you to check so I think he'll get over it with lots of love and treats!

Okay, My hand is now bleeding but Jagger is, most certainly a Boy. he's hard to hold onto with out catching a hind claw XD
Off to grab some organic carrots! thanks for the help :)

Yay! You did it!!! Excellent job! Now you don't have to worry about any babies:D
Sorry about your hand! It's bleeding for a very excellent cause, though!!

I agree, I just wish i knew how not to freak him out so much.....

If today if their first day with you, it can take some time yet. Since they are prey animals they are timid and scared of almost everything! With handfeeding veggies, talking softly to them, and letting them get used to being around you they will start to warm up soon enough! It just takes time! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.