Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hi, i just had to share my beautiful pig!

jackiem

Cavy Slave
oh I know you guys are. The funny thing is the pet store gave me this adress. They said you were anti-pet stores (they only work there cause they need a job and wanted to be around pets) They didnt care that you were anti-pet store they just wanted me to get the best information. They have even stopped recieving others pigs that they bought and are now breedeing their own to insure that they are healthy. like I said, I guess I got lucky =)

jackiem

Cavy Slave
Also, I am plaining on getting Darwin nueterd and getting him a girl friend. I'd love to be able to adopt.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Except for the part about giving you this address to help you get some good information, I've yet to see how you got lucky. With the number of guinea pigs and other small animals languishing and dying in shelters and rescues, there is absolutely no reason to breed. You would get really lucky if you found a pet supply store that sold you food that really was healthy for your animals, gave customers good information, didn't sell any animals at all, and advised people to adopt instead of lining the pockets of breeders and pet mills.

jackiem

Cavy Slave
------------ok-----------------

jackiem

Cavy Slave
you have you opinions and they may have alot of truth and I respect that and agree with most of what you say. But Im very happy I went to that pet store or I wouldnt have found the love of my life. Thanks for all the other information though.

jackiem

Cavy Slave
like a saiad before i would love to adopt my next pig =D

jackiem

Cavy Slave
is pine an ok bedding?

jackiem

Cavy Slave
sorry I keep writing so much but I have one last question... Is there any shelters in or around Virginia Beach?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Within a 10 minute time frame you can edit your posts, so there is no need to put each line in a seperate post.

Do a pet search on https://www.petfinder.com with either Virginia Beach or your zip code to narrow down the animals. You also may want to check out this ad on craigslist. (broken link removed)

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
They have even stopped recieving others pigs that they bought and are now breedeing their own to insure that they are healthy. like I said, I guess I got lucky =)
-------------------
That is not a good thing... That is making more abandoned pigs die, and overpopulating the guinea pigs. No, you did not get lucky...

jackiem

Cavy Slave
no! they take abandoned pigs they just arent buying them from breeders, so isnt that a good thing that they arent supporting breeders. they are breeding there own to make sure they are healthy. yes I did get lucky, it is a great pet store. thats that!!!!!!

jackiem

Cavy Slave
bottom line is that I went to that pet store, got the greatest pig ever, so I feel very lucky.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Of course they aren't supporting breeders. They ARE breeders. I'm sure you adore your guinea pig and will take excellent care of him, but your friends are contributing to overpopulation just as much as the other breeders and pet mills. The only difference between what this store is doing and what others do is this one has cut out the middle man, so they don't have to pay anyone to stock their store with merchandise. Next time you go into your favorite little store, ask them how often they breed their sows, do they have someone watching over the pigs all the time, do they have a vet oncall 24/7 in case of emergencies, what do they do with the sick pigs, and what do they do with the babies that aren't born perfect? Ask them if they're aware that 20-25% of all sows get sick or die every time they are bred. I doubt you'll like the answers to all of those questions.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Like PM said. They dont support breeders because they are breeders. They think "Why pay for guinea pigs while we breed them for free!" That is worse than supporting breeders because that makes MORE of a population and saddens the life of a sheltered GP.

Think of this: Have you ever felt sorry for orphinated babys? When their moms just dont care for them anymore?? Thats EXACTLY what is happening with other animals. Nobody cares for sheltered because if they breed, they can get a "better looking" one. It's disgusting.

jackiem

Cavy Slave
like I said Id love to adopt one day but as of now Im very happy with the choice I made. I know how you feel I agree and respect it, you know how I feel, now the end. ok. besides all that mess is pine ok for bedding?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you decide on pine for bedding, try to find some that says kiln-dried or heat-dried on the package. That helps to get rid of most of the phenols. If it doesn't say either on the package and you can smell pine scent, dump the shavings into a box and let it air out for a few days before filling the cage.

jackiem

Cavy Slave
thanks guys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.