Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi everyone!

Swindle06

Cavy Slave
Hi. My name is T.J.. 2 weeks ago my wife and I got our first Guinea Pigs. Zara the all brown one is roughly 3 months old and Mara the one behind her is roughly 2 months old. We bought them a cage from PetCo to live in not realizing that it wasn't big enough for them. So while doing some research about this situation I found this great informative site! I've already begun construction on their new cage. Cage made from cubes and tray made from coroplast complete so far. Still have to build the lid, get the fleece lining and get them more stuff to play and hide in and they'll be ready to move in. I never would have thought of the idea for this cage or how to build it without this site. Thank you all so much. Looking forward to spending lots of time here getting to know everyone and enjoying our new hobby with fellow enthusiasts.

The girls.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Hi everyone!

The cage

You can see how the new cage dwarfs the store bought cage. They'll be going from 4.5sq. ft. to 13.5sq. ft. I think they'll be much happier.

Welcome to the forum!! Isn't this site great? I thought I found the Mecca of guinea pig information when I came to this place.

Thanks for sharing the photos. You're girls sure are cute and I bet they will love their new cage when it's all done. Looks like you're doing a great job so far.

Woo hoo! They are going to be super stoked at all the new space they have in that cage! Zara and Mara are adorable!

Incidentally, what are the dimensions of the table you have the cage on. I have two 2X5s and would like to eventually have them both on tables and off the ground.

Thanks Catahoula and CavyMama.

The table dimensions are 6ft x 2.5ft. (72in x 30in)

Welcome, Your doing a great job. Your girls are beautiful.

What a great cage! And your piggies are so cute : ) Isn't this an amazing sight? I found it just after I got my first piggie (sadly, he died, but we adopted a new one), and I learned so much about proper housing and care. I think your piggies are going to be running around and popcorning like crazy when they see their palatial new home.

What a great cage! And your piggies are so cute : ) Isn't this an amazing sight? I found it just after I got my first piggie (sadly, he died, but we adopted a new one), and I learned so much about proper housing and care. I think your piggies are going to be running around and popcorning like crazy when they see their palatial new home.
Thanks mufasa. Its a great informative site! Sorry for your loss. :weepy: It really will be like going from an apartment to a mansion for them. I hope they love it and are much happier in it. I'm really happy with how its turned out so far.

Hello and welcome! Your girls are adorable!

Great job so far. Your piggies are so cute, where did you get them? I think I got the same table as you, a folding camp table from Walmart.

Great job so far. Your piggies are so cute, where did you get them? I think I got the same table as you, a folding camp table from Walmart.
Thanks Kaaren. We got them at PetCo. The wife and I were out just enjoying the day doing some shopping and decided to go into PetCo to look at the animals. Well Zara was just calling to her. Coming right up to the glass and giving her kisses through it. We decided we had to get her so we got her all the stuff she needed and home she came with us. I started reading up and found out that they are a social animal and do better in at least groups of two so we went back to the store two days later to get her a sister. A sale had just started so they were all out of females. My wife kept checking every other day on her way home from work and 5 days later she brought home Mara. I forget if I got it at Walmart or Target but its a very good chance is the same table. Portable and very sturdy. I'm very happy with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.