Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi All

Lash/tbslave

Cavy Slave
Hi, my name is Laken and I have two male gp: Lasher (about 2 1/2 years old) and Teddy Bear (less than 1 year). I got Lasher about 1 1/2 years ago and I got Teddy Bear Saturday. Lasher is pretty laid back, he runs from me everytime I try to get him out of his cage but then he is pretty tame. He doesn't like his veggies or fruits, period! I can't figure out why. (any hints on why?) Lasher has a big 2x5 cage and Teddy Bear will be moving in with him soon (hopefully). Teddy Bear is very skittish and runs from me no matter what. When I do finally catch him and try to hold and love on him he wheeks like I'm hurting him. I believe I might be hurting him because his whole back end is missing hair and has scabs all on it like his cage mates (before I got him) tried to eat him. I believe that might be hurting him but please I need help on how to get him to warm up to me? He has is own cage right now so that his sores can heal and I can try to get him to warm up to me. Yesterday I took out Lasher's play pen and put both of them together in it and they did great. They were small chattering and a lot of butt sniffing, lol! Can anyone give me help on how to fix these problems? Also Lasher's is loosing a lot of hair again (he had mites and has been treated for them), could it be mites again or something else? Please anyone who can help, please give advice.

Laken, Lasher, and Teddy Bear

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome

Which kinds of vegetables are you feeding Lasher? Big hits tend to be romaine lettuce, cilantro, carrots (feed in moderation) and ball peppers (red or green are fine)

I beleive you are using wheeking in the wrong context - they only wheek when it's dinner time. Go to this link (broken link removed) and then click on "happy". Is this the sound he is making? If so, that's a good sound -it means he is relatively happy.

You have a serious problem - he could have a) Mites b) Lice c) A fungal infection
Could you take a picture? I recommend taking your pig to a vet. This is what you should do anyway. He will tell you what is wrong.

No! Have you not hear of quarantine? You MUST keep Teddy Bear seperate from Lasher for at least 2 weeks. The damage is done now -I beleive Lasher has caught something from Teddy.

They are both going to try and establish their postitions so mounting, chasing and chattering is normal. Only seperate them if there is bloodshed. If they are not getting on at all, then try to give them a buddy bath.

Lash/tbslave

Cavy Slave
Teddy Bear uses the leave me alone (or scared) wheek that they have on the website. Its very depressing. I've tried feeding Lasher all the veggies that they say are good for them but he just throws them at me and turns his back to me. Very strange. He is not losing hair like he did when he had mites the first time but after I get him out for lap time I take a hair roller thingy and its covered in his hair. I really think that Teddy Bear's problem was he was getting bit by his other cage mates because his hair and scabs are going away now. They never mounted each other but they where chasing like crazy. It was cute.

Laken, Lasher, and Teddy Bear

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.