Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hey!

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
hi i just wanted to do a quick intro. I got a female guinea pig around june. id had 3 before when i was like 10 and of course they weren't in the best conditions. well i got Squirrel (she got the name bc if she had a tail she would look identical to one), and a petco cage, sadly. soon after i started to research more and found out it was too small, so i finally decided to setup a new 2x6 C&C cage at our new house, so it's all setup, and i have gotten a second guinea pig after a lot of begging the parents. the new guinea pig ive had for 3 days and she's an abynessian thats black with a brown butt and has a white stripe on her forehead like a horse or skunk so to go along with Squirrel's name, her name is Skunk. well in 2 weeks she will be introduced to Squirrel. so right now i have a few questions, and here they are;
1. does it matter that Skunk is smaller than Squirrel?
2. how should i introduce them?
3. what all could i make them to play with and hide in? plz post a link on how to make it.
4. how many guinea pigs would be best for me to have with my size cage if i can convince my mom to have more?
5. how can i get my username fixed bc i meant to put S and S standing for Squirrel and Skunk.

Hello and welcome! I knew a guinea named Skunk once. He was a black and white long-haired guinea. It shouldn't matter that Skunk is smaller than Squirrel; Squirrel can be her older sister :) Guinea Pigs Social Life There is the link for how to do introductions-the intro part should be halfway down the page. As for what to play with and hide in, there are tons of ideas out there. My girls' favorite is a tunnel I picked up at Goodwill ;) They also have a "fleece forest". Paper bags stuffed with hay, paper towel rolls, things that they can push around or tunnel under-even a pile of blankets. From the main forum page scroll down to the "Hot Tips!" section. You will find lots of ideas and helpful advice. Also try perusing the photo albums.
# of Pigs
Minimum
PREFERRED
generally
in grids
in grids
one 7.5 sq ftmore is better30" x 36"2x3 grids27" x 41"
two 7.5 sq ft10.5 sq feet 30" x 50"2x4 grids27" x 56"
three10.5 sq ft 13 sq feet30" x 62"2x5 grids27" x 71"
four 13 sq ftmore is better30" x 76"2x6 grids27" x 84"

Here is a chart of cage sizes.
For now, I would get to know the two new guins before thinking about getting more. I only have two. I joke that Frappe is my pet and Frappilicious is hers. lol Locate a rescue or shelter in your area so when you do decide to get more you know where to go and who to ask.
I can't help with how to fix your username, you'd have to ask a mod.
Welcome again and you've come to the right place for guinea info! We'd love to see some pictures of Skunk and Squirrel!

thanks for the warm welcome! thanks for the link, and where to look for the ideas for entertainment for my piggies. I've actually read that chart I was just looking for opinions on what a good number would be. It's actually sad bc i dont have any shelters near me. The closest is 6-8 hours away.

Welcome and would love to see pictures of your furbabies when you can post them. There are lots of ideas in the "cage" section, just read, read, read.

Welcome to the forum!

You can get your username changed by sending a PM to Paula or to CavySpirit and requesting it.

It doesn't matter that they're not the same size.

If you got the new one from a pet store, be sure to quarantine in another room for a full three weeks. Tend to your old pig first, then the new one, and then change your clothes. Quarantine is for the health of your old pig and of your pocketbook -- pet store pigs are very often ill and require vet care immediately.

Double check the sex of the pigs and make sure they're the same gender. Do NOT take the word of the pet store people that they are the same. If you aren't sure, read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig for more than you ever wanted to know about guinea pig privates.

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life before you introduce them. The Introductions section is about halfway down.

They probably won't play with anything. You can look in the picture galleries for examples of hideys. Shoe boxes work well if you cut holes in the ends and cut the bottoms out (if you don't the bottoms get really yucky really quickly). Step stools from the dollar store also work well.

Welcome to the forum!

You can get your username changed by sending a PM to Paula or to CavySpirit and requesting it.

It doesn't matter that they're not the same size.

If you got the new one from a pet store, be sure to quarantine in another room for a full three weeks. Tend to your old pig first, then the new one, and then change your clothes. Quarantine is for the health of your old pig and of your pocketbook -- pet store pigs are very often ill and require vet care immediately.

Double check the sex of the pigs and make sure they're the same gender. Do NOT take the word of the pet store people that they are the same. If you aren't sure, read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig for more than you ever wanted to know about guinea pig privates.

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life before you introduce them. The Introductions section is about halfway down.

They probably won't play with anything. You can look in the picture galleries for examples of hideys. Shoe boxes work well if you cut holes in the ends and cut the bottoms out (if you don't the bottoms get really yucky really quickly). Step stools from the dollar store also work well.
im quarenting dont worry. now in a whole other room does it count if my room is bigger than most living rooms and i have the new on one side beside a dresser and one on the total opposite side of the room? i make sure to handle the new second and to always germex my hands after i touch the new one. i've already sexed her bc ive heard they arent very good at sexing them at the pet store.
thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!!

is it ok that theyre in the same room but its more like a living room and they cant see eachother or should i move the new one to my granpas room? theyd probably be closer if i move her to his room.

They're not really quarantined unless they're in separate rooms. Some diseases are airborne, and having them in the same room exposes them all.

What you really need is a door you can close to cut down on the air flow between the rooms.

ok but theyve been in the same room for 5 days, is it too late?

[GuineaPigCages.com] hey!thats squirrel

welcome cute piggie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.