Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey there!

EmilyChakeres

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I used to have guinea pigs when I was a kid. My sister had 2 and I had 1. We kept them in 2 store bought cages and her's being a girl and boy of course mated though always the first two...weird. In a year we had added 20 little piggies to our family. It was adorable to hear 23 little piggies wheeking when we came downstairs. :D Eventually we separated all of them(girls and boys) and they lived out there wonderful piggies lives. After the last one died we did not get anymore because my mom and sister were allergic. When I was 15 and my sister was long moved out we tried again but my mothers allergies were just too much.

Now that I am 19 and moved out I adopted a little piggy yesterday! I went to the shelter and instantly fell in love with a calico abyssinian. Her name is Sweetie because she really is. :) I never planned on only having one guinea pig, I know I'd be bored by myself! So after a small amount of convincing my boyfriend agreed to let me get her a pal. Her buddy is currently 3 weeks old and is the cutest! I'll be able to pick her up next Saturday.

I do have one question though it might be silly. Should I wait until the younger pig matures a bit? Sweetie is a year old and 2.17lbs if things didn't go right I am afraid she'd hurt the little one. Has anyone else introduced 4 week old piggies to older ones? How did they react?

Thanks lots!
Emily

Usually female adult/baby pairings work very well. Babies are rarely seen as a threat by adults. Sometimes babies will try to hide underneath the older pigs, and receive a little nip for their troubles, but it's rarely serious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.