Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey there!

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
I'm a cavy slave from India and I have two little girl pigs, who are now two months old. Unfortunately I bought them from a pet shop (I didn't know better) so I ended up looking up a lot of medical things for them and so here I am. I've been poring over every inch of GPC as a new guinea pig owner and (after much silent stalking of various threads) decided to join the forums.

Introducing the piggies...

The one on the left is Sophie (who, as you can see, chews everything in sight) and the one on the right is Emmy (who is a big Sniffer-Of-All-Objects). :love:

They are currently VERY lice infested, haha.

(I'm not sure about the size of the pigture but I hope that came out alright.)

There are no exotic vets where I live so I'll be posting on GPC for most of the stuff I need.

P.S. - Worry not, their little house is not as about-to-fall-over as it seems.

Welcome to the forum! Your pigs are adorable.
Can you get Revolution, kitten medication in India? It can be used for lice. It is given behind the ears, for three treatments, a week apart.

We don't get Revolution in India, as far as I know. I will try asking around once more but it's probably a no.

I went to a vet who said he'd read up about more about guinea pigs (which is better than most vets over here who prescribe the wrong medications without even reading up) and let me know.
First, he prescribed Advantage which is off the market here and then a herbal powder called Erina EP. It contained no permethrins or pyrethrins so I thought it would be okay; I used it on them just a couple of times and they showed no side effects except for less lice and reduced scratching.

Later, however, I realized that it contains 100mg of Azadirachta indica per gram of powder. I remember reading somewhere that it might cause problems to GPs.

I've only used it a couple of times, so that's not much; should I continue to use it?

If not, I will try the Ivermectin. I was a bit hesitant at first because it can be dangerous if dosed wrongly and that's bad news if you live in a place without much veterinary care available but if the powder is toxic I would be willing to (carefully) give it a try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.