Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Hey can someone help me and Teri we'd love some answers

loveteriyaki

Cavy Slave
Hi i've been looking stuff up for my guinea pig Teriyaki she has dry skin on the edge of her ear and i've heard that a fungal? lotion or something like that worked and i wanted to know if that'd be alright to use on her and what other peoples opinions are. She also has a dry foot that dosent seem to bother her but just looks kinda bad and what to do with that (probably getting annoyed) Then the ear that has the dry edge also has this white stuff on the inside it looks flaky in some spots but it's not like it falls off, she used to have lumps but they came off after i wetted them with warm water and a soft Q-tip taking them away but i just wanted to make sure if i have to take her too the vet or if stuff i can just treat at home. Thanks!!

NOTE: I also have a boar (Beene) and was thinking about getting her a room mate since she's showing signs of being nervous and lonely so if i could get feed back soon that'd be sooooooo great thanks again!!!!!

I would take it to the vet at this point. It could be a parasite. I don't usually see fungus have spots that can be wiped off. Are they kept inside?

Ditto on the vet visit. You might have a couple of things going on there, and it would be better to make sure about the treatment. Sometimes bacterial and fungal infections can sort of co-exist, and the treatment for one can make the other worse.

You're not planning on putting the boar with the sow, I hope?

Yes they are kept inside now but when i picked her up the person was keeping Teriyaki outside so that's probably where she got it from

At this point no because i really don't wanna get them both infected and i've been checking them both everyday and it's starting to show a little on teriyaki's other ear but beene is still clean from what i see

At this point? I hope you do not intend to put them together at all. The dangers of breeding are much too great.

Have you been treating the fungus on her ear? Have you taken her to a vet yet?

No i havent been treating it because i wasn't sure what it was and didn't wanna risk treating her for the wrong thing and making it worse, and no i havent taken her to the vet yet but from what i've seen by the answers i will i just wasnt sure if it was something harmless or something really bad that can't be treated at home :/

Is your boar neutered? Please don't house them together unless you have him neutered. You put your female at risk if you decide to breed her, plus you could end up with genetic disorders, depending upon what breed they are. ....If her ear is simply dry skin, you can rub some mineral oil on it to soften the skin. I've had guinea pigs with very dry ears that weren't due to a fungus or anything serious. If in doubt, though, I always have it vet checked to keep it from snowballing into something more serious.

Ok so what kind of mineral oil would you suggest? And no he is not neutered and no they are not together in the same cage we keep them seperated and they are the teddy breed, do they normally have dry skin?

So just in case i shall take her to the vet :) i just really want her to get better :(

Teddys can have dry skin. But not all teddys, and not all the time.

I suggest buying an over the counter fungus cream (like tinactin or something) and twice a day applying a very little bit to her ears, rubbing it in so you can't see it.

Ok if she was housed outside before i brought her home could that be a possible cause?

Fungus is highly contagious. She could have picked it up in a number of places.

Hmm...Oh well i was checking her out last night and down in her inner ear the fungus is there too i believe i saw something similar there to whats on her ears and that worries me

Sounds like it is time to get it checked out by the vet.

Ok so what kind of mineral oil would you suggest? And no he is not neutered and no they are not together in the same cage we keep them seperated and they are the teddy breed, do they normally have dry skin?

So just in case i shall take her to the vet :) i just really want her to get better :(

I use regular mineral oil you buy at the pharmacy. Teddies are prone to dry skin and skin disorders. Their fur is so dense, their skin probably doesn't get much air circulation to it. I've had quite a few teddies (still have them) and some have had very dry skin, but not all of them. One of them had a skin disorder that the vet couldn't identify. He had me shampoo her with Malaseb. A fungal infection was ruled out. I also had a couple that developed skin cysts.

Do not use mineral oil/paraffin for anything, it clogs up the pores completely & prevents the skin from breathing, it doesn't moisturize & stops other attempts to bring moisture to the skin as it lies like a layer on top, and will need harsh sulfates to remove as it's not absorbed. It could cause both eczema & other skin issues, and drastically reduces the skin's ability to eliminate toxins. This also goes for children.

Use a good proper oil like virgin coconut oil, or pure calendula lotion.

ok now im so confused :( whats wrong and whats right!????????????

So it should be avoided even if used just on her foot?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.