Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Hermit Crab Mites-HELP

rachelspets3

Cavy Slave
Not sure if this is in the right section- but this is the only other pets part I could find. Yesterday I discovered something disgusting-in my hermit crabs tank, it has been overrun by mites! So, as soon as i noticed them, I pulled out the crab i found one on, and rinsed him. I did the same for my other one, even though I did not see any on him. However, upon further inspection,I saw many in the tank. I gave each crab multiple full-immersion baths, and moved them into temporary iso homes. One is in tupperware, the other in a small critter keeper-and i used dixie cups to create hideys, tunnels, and water bowls:). Today, I washed out the ten gallon tank with my water hose several times, and it is currently drying in the sun. I am going to toss the wood decorations and buy new ones, and the plastic ones are currently sitting in soapy water. I gave my two crabs more baths today.
I know crabs can die from this-
any tips on what else to do and how to prevent these? I don't know how they came about-i dont take things from nature and give them to my pets.
Thanks, any help would be great!

I know this may be to late but if you want to stop mites in the future try baking the sand and clean anything new you are putting in the tank. When you feed them fresh vegies and fruit clean it out with in a few hours. I hope they are doing great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.