Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos Henry

CSimon2

Cavy Slave
I had Henry out for a little floor time and also to introduce him to the dogs. Here are a few pics from the outing.

Henry snuggled in his blanket:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Henry

Sadie, my Akita checking Henry out:

Sadie still keeping an eye on him:

Thanks for looking!

ADORABLE! Both Henry and Sadie! Love the pigtures!

Second that! lol

Awww, so adorable!

Thats is simply adorable! it is amazing how well they seem to get along! CUTE!

I'd be really careful with your dog near Henry. You can tell by Sadie's body language that she is very curious and probably has a strong prey instinct. My kids' sitter had a really friendly lab. They used to bring the dog and guinea pig out with supervision. Their dog grabbed their guinea pig, in play, and dropped her, killing her instantly. It can happen in a split second so I think I'd have a cover on an enclosure you have Henry in.

I'd be really careful with your dog near Henry. You can tell by Sadie's body language that she is very curious and probably has a strong prey instinct. My kids' sitter had a really friendly lab. They used to bring the dog and guinea pig out with supervision. Their dog grabbed their guinea pig, in play, and dropped her, killing her instantly. It can happen in a split second so I think I'd have a cover on an enclosure you have Henry in.

Thank you for your concern. There is a difference with being a friendly dog and being a trained dog. I have three dogs and all three are very well trained. I am not a normal dog owner, I trained my dogs the correct way. If I say sit, they do it. They were also trained to be around small pets as I also have hamsters. Yes the dogs are curious, but they are trained to leave the critters alone. I would not let my hamsters or guinea pigs out around the dogs if I felt they were threatened in any way. Again, thank you for your concern!

Now THOSE are some beautiful animals. I love Henry's white marking on his face

Yeah my dog is super friendly, but he saw my guinea pigs and instantly wanted to play, which isn't a good thing.
I agree with that other person saying that your dog looks like it wants to play with them.

I know they're well trained, and that's good. My dog never took to training, the little shit, so we had to drag him away from the cage. :p

so so so cute! I love Henry's markings :)

He is adorable and my dogs lay and watch her in the cage too I never leave them unattended but if I do she has lots of things to hide in if needed. I would just have a tube or hide house just in case.

There is a difference with being a friendly dog and being a trained dog. I have three dogs and all three are very well trained. I am not a normal dog owner, I trained my dogs the correct way. If I say sit, they do it.

That is a very beautiful Akita :) (I still miss my Akita girl from many years ago) And that piggie is pretty adorable too! Well said CSimon2, you are SO correct. There is a diference between a friendly dog and a well trained dog, my dogs are the same way (I am a dog trainer so let's hope, right?). I still have one pup that I think her prey drive might over rule my commands though so I just watch her even closer :) I also think there's a difference between letting your dogs frolic with your piggies and letting them watch from a distance while supervised. Both of those pictures are great!

He looks like a little chipmunk! Both adorable :D

What a little cutie!!!

Thank you for your concern. There is a difference with being a friendly dog and being a trained dog. I have three dogs and all three are very well trained. I am not a normal dog owner, I trained my dogs the correct way. If I say sit, they do it. They were also trained to be around small pets as I also have hamsters. Yes the dogs are curious, but they are trained to leave the critters alone. I would not let my hamsters or guinea pigs out around the dogs if I felt they were threatened in any way. Again, thank you for your concern!

Their dog was very well trained, too, so they were deeply upset when it happened. They were all sitting right there and couldn't react fast enough. They didn't believe that their dog was trying to harm her. She was just watching her and grabbed her when she suddenly moved. Sometimes that instinct just kicks in when a small animal takes off really fast.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with pinky. I implore anyone who thinks that a well-trained dog can't have an instinctual reaction to take a look at the plethora of news articles of perfectly-behaved pets attacking, the multiple threads on GuineaLynx of pigs being mauled, or the reality of nature... all it takes is one split-second nip to kill a pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.