Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Helping piggies get used to 2nd level

selms

Cavy Slave
Well, we finally added a second level with a ramp to our 2x4 C&C cage. The second level is only 1x2 (I plan to expand to 1x3 once we get some more coroplast). We made the ramp out of plywood with popsicle sticks for traction (got the idea from angel's cage by cavy spirit in the gallery).

Now, how can I help my piggies get used to the ramp? Guinneacula is pregnant and due any day, so I am not surprised that she has shown no interest. Phoenix tends to be skittish and has not tried going up yet. We did put her up there with a pigloo, but she just pushed the pigloo off!

Do I just wait and hope that they eventually get curious? Or is there something that I can do to help her get comfy with the ramp and being higher up.

Thanks!

Ferdypig

Cavy Slave
Hi Selms,

It took my guys ages to start using the second floor. At first I put food into it and lifted them up there so they started to associate it with getting treats (my oldest piggie now runs up there in the morning when I come in because he knows that earns him a bean!

But even when they'd go up for food, they never stayed there and I thought it might be because they felt exposed (it was an open 1x2) so I tied each corner of a square of fleece to each corner of the loft to make a sort of hammock and now they both love hiding and sleeping under it.

Hope these ideas help.

pennick

Cavy Slave
My third level is for treats. Once I put them up there and they saw their treats they knew to go up there to get them. They are always running up there to check out whats goodies I hid up there for them. I also have one of their favorite hidey houses up there.

My second level is where I keep their pellets and they get their veggies. My piggies will never miss out on that. That is where they greet me to say Hi.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I would say take the ramp down until her pups are weaned. Unless there are sides, you don't want mum or babies to be falling off the ramp.

The second level should be totally blocked off from anything falling if you put a pigloo on it. The pig may push the pigloo and fall off.

selms

Cavy Slave
Thanks folks. I think that I will take Slap's suggestion about taking down the ramp until the babies are weaned...I hadn't really thought about them getting up and down! I know about adding extra cardboard around the sides but had not thought about baby proofing the ramp as well.

Once they are older, I will give it another try. Putting treats up there sounds like the way to go.

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the second level varies for me too. First time I did it, they were excited and now it varies. I'm trying treats to having their hidy house on the second floor. It helps I think eventually they will do it more often and hopefully when I get my next cavy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.