Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Help?

Yes, 9x9 squares is what you want. You can get them slightly cheaper at Bed Bath and Beyond, especially with a 20% off coupon.

okay thank you :) what would I use as the flooring? any ideas?

For flooring you could use coroplast, which you can find at sign shops.. But if you cannot find it you could use a shower curtain as the main flooring.

okay thanks! I ended up getting the ones from target, the box had some with big holes and some with perfect small holes.. I used the ones with big holes for the floor part and the small holed ones for the sides so they cannot escape :) so far so good I will post pics soon!

okay thanks! I ended up getting the ones from target, the box had some with big holes and some with perfect small holes.. I used the ones with big holes for the floor part and the small holed ones for the sides so they cannot escape :) so far so good I will post pics soon!

Are the small holes 8x8 across? If so, they are the dangerous ones.
ALERT! New Target grids are dangerous! PLEASE READ!!

Last edited:
yes I have used them for the bottom of their home and once the coroplast is in place there shouldnt be any danger what so ever. :) but i will post pics and if you guys think its not safe i will return them and buy new ones :) only the best for my babies!

I thought you said you use the large holes for the bottom and small holes for the sides? Target grids usually come with 5x5 and 8x8 holes. Both are dangerous. Only the 9x9 holes from other brands are recommended. If you were lucky to find the small holes in the Target grids to be 9x9, then that's fine.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I think the new Target grids are ALL bad. The 8x8 is the smaller size and someone reported a piggy getting their head stuck. The bigger ones are 5x5 which might not keep them contained. :(

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I think the new Target grids are ALL bad. The 8x8 is the smaller size and someone reported a piggy getting their head stuck. The bigger ones are 5x5 which might not keep them contained. :(

You are right. All the details are in the link I posted earlier.

I would love to see a picture:).....I plan on getting supplies to make one too. How long did it take you?

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, are these good grids to get? Or are they too expensive (as in, cheaper elsewhere?) Wire Cubes

Sears consistently has just about the best price (so long as you like black), or at least their price is in the ballpark. You can also find them online at BBB, Walmart, KMart, etc. You shouldn't pay more than $20/box including connectors. One box of the Sears grids is enough to make a 2x4 cage with a 1x2 upper level even if you put a floor on the cage........which I recommend. Obviously the cage could be larger without the upper level and a floor.

Just want to second that Sears has great prices, plus you can pickup in store and save shipping charges. One box is not enough, though, for a 2x4 with a floor and a loft. There are 23 grids (6 cubes) in the ones Sears sells and it takes 20 grids to make a 2x4 with a floor. Not trying to be difficult, just wanted to mention because I just got grids from Sears and wound up going back for a second box to do fancy stuff with. :)

okay so im getting the vibe i should return the target grids and purchase somewhere else? I have had the set up for about an hour now and they havent had any problem with even trying to stick their heads through but I also dont want anything to go wrong...I also heard that the ones from sears and kmart are just as dangerous...? i would like to stay as cheap as possible but more than price i want a safe environment for my piggies...

Thanks for clarifying that! I have done so many different things while building this cage that I honestly had forgotten! :rolleyes: I'm into my third box of grids with having made the cage, cage stand, tunnels, etc. while this whole endeavor has been in progress.

Cherrish09......whatever would give you the idea that the Sears grids are dangerous?? The key to remember is the number and size of the squares/openings in the 14" square grid. The ideal is 9 x 9 openings or more (smaller holes). Anything fewer than 9x9 (read..........8 or 7) will have larger openings and could result in a smaller cavy getting a body part (probably head) trapped.

Most grids are fine so long as the openings are small.
I read on some one elses thread that the kmart and sears were just as dangerous as target... But i will return the target ones and try the ones from sears!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.