Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help

Ashley's Gurl

Cavy Slave
I was wondering how often I shoul give my pig a bath, and what kind of sampoo to use? Latley I have been giving her a bath like eery other week but then my friend said that was unhealthy, is it?:confused: :(

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
Here are a few facts on bathing:

1. Baths should only be given if the guinea pig is dirty or smells bad.
Too many baths can dry out a guinea pig's skin. A mild kitten shampoo
should be used. ((broken link removed))

2. As a general rule, bathing should only be done when necessary. Baths are typically stressful events for a cavy, and stressed guinea pigs are more susceptible to bacterial and viral infections. Unless your guinea pig simply loves to be bathed (some of them do), you should not do so regularly. ((broken link removed))

3. Bathing: Guinea pigs seldom "need" baths and some are never bathed. But if they do require one, a shampoo formulated especially for small animals will help avoid drying their skin. Use a shallow bowl of warm water, rinse, and dry thoroughly to avoid chills before returning them to their home. Avoid getting water in their ears.
Shampoos: Bunny Bath by Four Paws is a pleasant smelling all purpose shampoo which can be used on guinea pigs. Hylyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo is a soap free product excellent for use on sensitive skin. EPI-SOOTHE? SHAMPOO is a gentle shampoo formulated to relieve mild itchiness and dry skin in dogs and cats also used by some people on their cavies. (https://guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html#grooming)
If some of those are wrong, correct me.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The only thing I disagree with is using a mild kitten shampoo. Actually you should use a shampoo formulated for small furry animals. If you have to resort to kitten shampoo it must not contain any medication additives in it.

One of the best shampoos for piggies is 4 Paws Bunny Bath in a pink bottle.

Ashley's Gurl

Cavy Slave
o.k. thanks for your help this means I'm going to have to cut back on the baths and for when I do give her a bath I need to find some of that shampoo, do you know where to find it? p.s. I put that site on my favorites. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.