Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help!!

sglancy

Cavy Slave
I have 4 girls in a c&c cage (we just adopted the 4th from a shelter this past weekend). We have a 2 X 4 C & C cage with a 1 X 4 X 1 upper level (The upper level runs the length of the lower level into an "L" shape on one end). So, I guess a total of 13 sq ft (is this correct?). Do you think this is large enough for 4 girls? A 2X6 is 12 SF so I'm figuring mine is in line space-wise if I calculated correctly. I certainly don't want to not meet at least the minimum C & C cage requirements. Thanks for your help!

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
The second level does not count for space, I think, from what I've read on this site. They need plenty of room to do laps without running into each other. 2x4 for four pigs sounds extremely small - I used to keep my one pig in that size. Now that I have three pigs, they're in a 3x4. As far as calculating square-footage, though, remember that the grids are 14" and not 12" so you do have a little more leeway.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I agree. I wouldn't count the loft space in the total space available because they probaby use it far less than the ground floor. I suggest you enlargen the cage to at least 2x5 or 2x5.5

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
but in compariosn, to a pet store, cage..... you're on the right track. just keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
sglancy said:
I have 4 girls in a c&c cage (we just adopted the 4th from a shelter this past weekend). We have a 2 X 4 C & C cage with a 1 X 4 X 1 upper level (The upper level runs the length of the lower level into an "L" shape on one end). So, I guess a total of 13 sq ft (is this correct?). Do you think this is large enough for 4 girls? A 2X6 is 12 SF so I'm figuring mine is in line space-wise if I calculated correctly. I certainly don't want to not meet at least the minimum C & C cage requirements. Thanks for your help!
I would go ahead an make it a 3x4 or 2x6 (but personally I like wider cages rather than longer ones!) ;)

sglancy

Cavy Slave
Well, I took your advice as well as my own feeling that the cage was too small and now we have a 3 X 4 with a 1 X 4 X 3 upper level. It looks huge when you enter the room and certainly provides enough space! My husband's is going to be surprised. Just last night as I was drawing plans he asked what I was up to and I said "oh, just adding a few grids to the guinea pig cage...". The cage is in our son's room and thankfully he has a large room but it's being overtaken each day with expansions! Thanks for your help!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
That is such fantastic news!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
well, i must say, that is certainly a lot bigger! good thing you had the room for expansions.

oh, and now that the cage is bigger, you will probably find that they smell less and you wont have to clean as often.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Exactly what the other guys said. You were taught well! =)

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.