Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions HELP

an1lka

Cavy Gazer
hello. I am writing this at 4am and my guinea pig began acting weird at 8-9pm last night.

first of all he felt extremely light and was barely breathing when I was taking him back to his cage (he was on my bed just sleeping normally) when i put him back he didn't interact with his brother piggy at all and immediately laid down until i gave them carrots yellow bell pepper cucumbers and hay+pebbles. after the food he was better but now hes still acting weird and when i picked him up his nose was kind of wet and he was very light again.

yes hes still eating, and active. no he hasn't had any health issues in the past besides he broke his top teeth about 4 months ago (his teeth are fine now)

hes turning 3 this upcoming September. please I've been crying thinking if hes coming to his last moments and I would like to know if this is a situation to take in or is it anything else?? any advice or help would be very very appreciated.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get him to a vet, asap. Have you been weighing him regularly? That is almost always the first indication that something is wrong, other than an obvious injury. It sounds like he's already lost a fair bit of weight.

3 is far too young. He needs a vet that specializes in exotics. Get him in a soon as you can. Guinea pigs are hard wired to hide illnesses and often when we finally notice something is wrong, they have been sick for some time.

Let us know how you make out with him.

an1lka

Cavy Gazer
Get him to a vet, asap. Have you been weighing him regularly? That is almost always the first indication that something is wrong, other than an obvious injury. It sounds like he's already lost a fair bit of weight.

3 is far too young. He needs a vet that specializes in exotics. Get him in a soon as you can. Guinea pigs are hard wired to hide illnesses and often when we finally notice something is wrong, they have been sick for some time.

Let us know how you make out with him.
I just weighed him and he’s the exact same weight he’s been since the last health checkup he’s had (doctor said it was a normal piggie weight) today he’s active he’s eating he’s breathing and it’s like nothing even happened..

the closest appointment i could make was for the 24th this month. ill update when i take him

Last edited: