Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding help w/ new guinea pigs plz

• Thread starter BeautifulPoetO6
  • Start date

BeautifulPoetO6

Cavy Slave
So, the little black and white one we got was perfect.... a sweetheart, calm, easy to catch (pretty much just let ya pick him up) BUT...

then i read he should have a friend, so i decided to go ahead and get one of his littermates the very next day - COMPLETE OPPOSITE!!

extremely skittish, not that food oriented as far as trying to use it for bonding, and hard to catch, but the bad part is that he's rubbed off on his brother ...the first, once calm, pig ... is now hard to catch as well

once you do catch them they are pretty sweet, will lay in your lap and both of them like to curl up on the neck under the hair and hide/lay there and be petted ... they make somewhat of a quieter birdie chirping noise and im not real sure if that's good or bad but they are well behaved (except they pee on me!!)

any ideas on how long/if ever it might take for them to stop being quite so skittish and anything i can do to speed up the process at all?

both of them are very sweet, just wish they weren't so terrified :eye-poppi

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How sad you went back to petsmart to buy another guinea pig from a breeding mill while shelter pigs are being euthanized. And you didn't even quarantine as suggested in your other thread.

Are you sure both are males?

Pet store pigs are usually sick and not socialized so you should take them both to a cavy vet for check up and work on socializing them.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
My pigs have completely different personalities, but they absolutely love each other, just like people do. Same thing for all my pets. My cats look like brothers actually. They are very different, they love each other, they play, they fight, they ignore the others, it really depends on the situation, but I am sure they love each other to the bones!

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave

BeautifulPoetO6

Cavy Slave
How sad you went back to petsmart to buy another guinea pig from a breeding mill while shelter pigs are being euthanized. And you didn't even quarantine as suggested in your other thread.

Are you sure both are males?

Pet store pigs are usually sick and not socialized so you should take them both to a cavy vet for check up and work on socializing them.

Had you taken the time to ask me, instead of assuming, you would know that I looked for rescues before choosing a pet store. I live in a rather rural area and there aren't any rescues anywhere near me at all

I also looked on craigs list, found several people who had guinea pigs for adoption, emailed them to adopt and 3 weeks later, never heard back from any of them

yes, I purchased a pet store guinea pig (yes i purchased 2) and no I didn't quarantine because my veterinarian said that because they were housed together at petsmart, from the same litter and because I got the brother the VERY NEXT DAY there was no need to quarantine. I trust my vet, and yes they are both males, I checked them myself and so did my vet.

Both pigs are extremely healthy, they just have the typical skittishness that most new guinea pigs have who haven't been hand raised

I'm not feeding nutriphase... they have both been getting Oxbow with lots of veggies, and timothy hay

Thank you for being concerned, but it would be nice if you would ask instead of just assuming and attacking. Thats okay though, I knew it was only a matter of time

BeautifulPoetO6

Cavy Slave
My pigs have completely different personalities, but they absolutely love each other, just like people do. Same thing for all my pets. My cats look like brothers actually. They are very different, they love each other, they play, they fight, they ignore the others, it really depends on the situation, but I am sure they love each other to the bones!

Thank you! This is very true. I will just continue to work with them :) I am sure they will come around

BeautifulPoetO6

Cavy Slave
Piggy's all have different personalities. But for the "catching" part you can try to use the piggy elevator:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...r-easy-way-catch-piggies-piggie-elevator.html

As for peeing on you - my Gizzy makes a very distinct noise when she wants to relieve herself and I know to put her down then. Otherwise just use a towel over your clothing.

Wow that is a great tip, thank you! I will definitely be trying this one out! They are so sweet once they are actually OUT, they just hate to be caught in the first place LOL

Yeah I did realize AFTER the fact that both of them got the same look in their eye and climbed down off my neck onto my lap when they had to urinate, so I will definitely be keeping a towel handy in the future. Thank you :)

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Regardless of what your vet said, if they came from Petsmart they need to be treated for fleas/mites. These are extremely common in petstore pigs and can cause cavies to be extremely tender and hate being touched. Which can be done with a simple application of Invermicine.

You should also make sure you're vet is an exotic vet. One who deals primarily in cats or dogs will say they're able to treat cavies but unfortunitely doesn't have the sort of specialization they require.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Had you taken the time to ask me, instead of assuming, you would know that I looked for rescues before choosing a pet store. I live in a rather rural area and there aren't any rescues anywhere near me at all

I also looked on craigs list, found several people who had guinea pigs for adoption, emailed them to adopt and 3 weeks later, never heard back from any of them
Thank you for being concerned, but it would be nice if you would ask instead of just assuming and attacking. Thats okay though, I knew it was only a matter of time

Had you taken the time to do some reading, you'd have found out that people give this same lame excuse for buying guinea pigs over and over and over and that it doesn't hold any water at all for the great majority of people here. Since you either didn't read that information, or did read it and don't care, it would be nice if you at least don't whine about being "attacked" for making a poor decision and continuing to attempt to defend it here. I don't know why I continue to be surprised that people have the cheek to come on a pro-rescue board, talk about how they bought guinea pigs and don't care that it's offensive to others, and then complain that their welcome is less than warm, but I somehow am.

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave

You're in WV, not the middle of nowhere. If there is a petstore near you selling pigs, then guaranteed there are also unwanted pigs sitting in shelters. Maybe you would have to drive an hour or two to get there, but getting a pet isn't about what is most convienent for you. It often times takes patience and some searching to find a pig to adopt. It sounds like you just didn't want to put forth the effort and that is how you're justifying it to yourself.

bunnys n pigs

Cavy Slave
No, 2pigs2kids, i disagree. I live in WV also, and they do not shelter pigs OR rabbits in my area. But on everything else, you are totally right. And you tried to "adopt" from Cregs-list?! HAH! Right! just the same as getting pigs from breeders! What selfishness!! I can't believe you're even bothering to try and justify it by covering yourself up.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

I run a rescue, and have had people drive up to 4 hours to adopt from me.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That isn't what you posted in your other thread. You said you knew pet stores were bad but you bought them from there anyway because you knew one of the workers.

I guess I missed your thread on asking for adoption help.

Your vet was wrong by the way. You should have still quarantined.

We have heard your excuse too many times and it is usually not true. You don't get a free pass and get a pat on the back for buying live animals from a pet store.

Last edited:

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
And you tried to "adopt" from Cregs-list?! HAH! Right! just the same as getting pigs from breeders!

Not necessarily so. Craigslist is one of the first resorts for people who have gotten cavies on an impulse. There's no encouraging breeders by getting a cavy from a non-breeding person off Craigslist.

DalesLass

Cavy Slave
Your vet was wrong by the way. You should have still quarantined.
These pigs were apparently litter mates and housed together, merely separated for 24 hours. Could you explain what the reason for quarantining would be ?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Petsmart could have lied about them as usual. And if they got a new shipment of breeder milled pigs in or other animals, they could have been exposed to a variety of illnesses in that 24 span, even IF they were cagemates before.

Stress or drastic change can cause dormant illnesses or parasites to flare up as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.