Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Help- Pregnant pig with mites?

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
I have a specific thread about my pregnant pig...but I have another issue. I'm starting to suspect that my two piggies have mites. They scratch, though I didn't think it was extreme until I started noticing several pieces of hair coming out attached to little scabs. I am only noticing this now because I've switched to fleece and it is easy to spot. Does this sound like mites to you guys? If so, what do I do about it (being that the female is pregnant)? I think the babies will be here within the week, and I don't know how young is too young to treat for the mites. I have some ivermectin leftover from treating my rats a couple years ago- not sure if it is still good. I'll have to dig it out to check the expiration date.

I was planning a trip to the vet about 2 weeks after the babies come to get a confirmation on the genders and could bring the adults along if needed, but I don't know if I should be waiting that long if there are indeed mites on my piggies. I don't see any noticeable hair loss on the pigs and they don't seem overly uncomfortable, but like I said- there are the tiny scabs with hairs stuck to them that I've started finding on the fleece, and I am getting a bit worried about this.

Help???

Look at the mites and fungus articles at Guinea Lynx. From the main page at www.guinealynx.info, there's an index, and you can find the articles there. The scabs sound like mites, but the clumps of hair sound like fungus. See if you can figure out from those articles which it is. I'd bet on mites, but you need to check the fungus stuff out too.

You can't treat the new pups with Ivermectin, and if they're due within the week, taking the pregnant mom to the vet would probably really stress her out.

I think I would read the GL info, take my best guess at what it is, and call the vet. Say you've got a massively pregnant pig that you'd rather not have to bring in, as delivery is imminent, and ask what his/her recommendation is.

It would be good if they could be treated before the pups get here, because the babies are almost certain to get them if the adults are infested, and they're harder to treat. They have to be 350 grams to get ivermectin, unless it's really a bad case, and that's a several-months-old pig.

Thanks so much bpatters. I am thinking (after looking at the info on guinealynx) that it is mites. I'm going to have to try to call a vet and see what they suggest. I wish I would've been able to catch this earlier, as I would have been able to get it taken care of before the babies arrive. Maybe there is still time though, I guess we'll see. I just want them all to be healthy and ok! I can't believe how much I love my piggies- they are just the most precious little friends to me AND my husband!

It's totally fine to treat pregnant females with ivermectin for mites. In fact, sometimes giving birth will bring out an outbreak of mites.

In horses, it was always recommended to give the mares a dose of ivermectin after they gave birth. Some of the ivermectin goes through the milk and helps out the baby, too.

It's totally fine to treat pregnant females with ivermectin for mites. In fact, sometimes giving birth will bring out an outbreak of mites.

In horses, it was always recommended to give the mares a dose of ivermectin after they gave birth. Some of the ivermectin goes through the milk and helps out the baby, too.

I actually realized tonight that my leftover meds are Revolution (selamectin) and not ivermectin. Any idea if that is still safe for pregnant females? I'm worried I won't be able to get a hold of a vet tomorrow as it is the weekend. I just want all my little piggies healthy and safe and want to do the absolute best I can for them.

I would check with a vet before using the Revolution.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.